Possible blown HG questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible blown HG questions

Hey guys, I just put in ARP studs, OEM gaskets, new oil cooler, and EGR delete and new 155/30 injectors. Since I first started it it has been blowing a lot of white smoke and eating coolant.. I took the valve cover off tonight and there is a lot of white milky looking stuff covering it, I'm assuming I have a blown HG.. any input would be nice, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Leaking head gaskets do not blow white smoke. Cylinder pressure forces exhaust through the bad head gasket, pressurizes the coolant, and forces the coolant out the cap. The other cause for white smoke (caused by coolant) is a leaking EGR cooler, but you have a EGR delete.

Are you sure the white smoke is coolant? Does it smell sweet?

Milky stuff in the valve cover makes me think your oil cooler is leaking coolant into the oil, but that (I don't think) would give you white smoke from the exhaust. How is your oil level? Are you gaining oil (i.e. coolant in the crankcase?)

MikeB
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't think I am gaining anything in my oil pan, as you said possibly coolant. I drained a little bit of coolant and a little oil in separate clear containers and neither of them look to be mixed with each other or any other fluid. The exhaust just smells like diesel not really sweet, at least in my opinion. I have read that the white milky substance can be condensation. I guess I am at a standstill right now as I don't really know where to go from here or what to try and diagnose next. Oh and I forgot to mention before that I had shown a code for P0671, P0673, P0675, and P0677 which is glow plug circuit, if that makes a difference.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If your getting excessive white smoke from the exhaust and have the EGR cooler deleted than you have at a minimum of one injector sticking open and dumping fuel into the cylinder. Be careful as to how you approach this as if it leaks and fills the cylinder while it's shut down and you try to start it and hydrolock it you can essentially bend a connecting rod.

My advice is to pull your glow plugs and roll the engine over by hand and have someone watching each side for fuel to escape the cylinders. This will tell you which injector(s) are leaking. Just keep your face and other body parts away from the glow plug holes as it will literally SHOOT the fuel out of them like a squirt gun.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found an injector harness that is broken so I ordered a new injector. But what would be causing the white milky substance on my valve cover if you don't think my HG is blown. Something I did wrong on the oil cooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.