Cloud of blue smoke at start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cloud of blue smoke at start

Hi y'all I have been reading around this forum for a while now, but I have finally been bitten by the problem bug.
I just bought a 2005 F-250 with the 6.0L & 133k on it, at the used car dealer it didn't have this problem (yes, I checked to make sure the engine was cold, I even touched the exhaust manifold, it was also 70* outside). So my problem is that whenever I go to start it and it's cold (50* maybe), it'll blow a big cloud of light blue smoke. This continues for a long while, when its all warmed there is still a hint of the smoke too. It stinks really bad too, way more than my old 6.0 (no smoke at all and it made a minimal amount of that diesel smell) which I got rid of a year ago with 60k miles on the clock.
This truck starts and runs fine, even when cold. After about maybe 3-4 seconds of cranking she fires up, runs smooth and quiet (except for right when it fires, it's really loud). From what I can tell there is no loss of power, and there are no delayed shifts because its got a manual trans.

I've read some other threads similar to my problem, they all said it was injector stiction, and the owner should change the oil. But those trucks all had problems like rough running and low power.

So I've decided on a course of action for now:
I'm going to change the oil this weekend, and I will be adding a dose of Rev-X.
I'll check FICM voltage and will pull the down-pipe to check for oil coming from the turbo seal.

Another thing that I've noticed is that when completely warm it will take longer to start, yes I know it is probably the STC fitting that's causing this. But could it cause the smoke too? I am planning on things like a new oil cooler, EGR delete or BPD upgrade, blue spring, dummy plugs, the STC, and possibly studs but it isn't puking currently. I'm just hoping that it's not something more serious like rings or valve guides. Anyway the truck is completely stock to my knowledge, and if it helps y'all, it does have a Gooseneck hitch.
If I can figure it out I'll try to post a video if that will help. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Blue smoke is fuel. White smoke will be steam or oil. I would change oil with a quality 5w-40 synthetic oil (I used Amsoil but its really expensive and hard to get), motorcraft filters, and I would also add some Rev-X or Archoil. Also check your FICM voltage it may be going south on you. Have your batteries load tested, they may be starting to go south also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly! I have some Rev-X coming to me in the mail, it should be here by the weekend. Ill check the FICM as soon as i can. If its fuel, couldnt it be the glowplugs causing this too? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Normally if you had a glow plug problem , that would signal a check engine light. Is your check engine light on?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM

I don't think that the glow plugs would cause this. The good oil and Rev-x should fix it, if not I would bet on FICM. Stiction will cause your injectors to fail if it has been going on for an extended period of time.

My 6.0 did the same thing and there was nothing wrong with it, but it had very very little blue smoke and only after sitting for an extended period of time. I mean so little that you actually had to concentrate to see it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cr450 View Post
Normally if you had a glow plug problem , that would signal a check engine light. Is your check engine light on?
No the CEL is not on. I'll do the oil change with some Rev-X, Rotella T6, and a Fram oil filter. Hopefully that will clear it up.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Emergency Services

I would use a motorcraft filter if I was you.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliob View Post
I would use a motorcraft filter if I was you.
Its got the felt gasket and all the part #'s that the Motorcraft one has. I think I read a thread about it somewhere, they said that the Racor, Motorcraft, and Fram filters were all the same. But WIX or anyone else's is bad. I will use Motorcraft if my parts store has one.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Head gasket had to have gone out....white smoke is unburnt fuel and blue smoke is oil check you head gasket because it is common in newer 6.0l powerstroke head gaskets to go out

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thrizzy View Post
Head gasket had to have gone out....white smoke is unburnt fuel and blue smoke is oil check you head gasket because it is common in newer 6.0l powerstroke head gaskets to go out

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sorry to tell you but you are wrong plain and simple. How the heck can you say that white smoke is unburnt fuel? Anyone that knows anything about a diesel engine knows that black smoke is unburnt fuel. Why do you think a diesel "rolls coal" when you stomp on it?

The HG issue is any 6.0 no matter the build date. Also when HG's blow it is white smoke (steam). Blown HG's does not let oil into the piston.
Sent from my GT-P5113 using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.