Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Cooler Failure?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PSDMikeB 
#1 ·
I've been having white smoke come out of the exhaust, looked into it and it all seems like common EGR Cooler related issues. I took a vid of what the cooler looks like, If anyone can give me a heads up or some advice I'd appreciate it. This is my only vehicle and I plan on getting an egr delete here soon, the answer seems obvious but once the delete is done the cooler is no longer needed, is this correct? Is it okay to drive the truck religiously without causing problems?

#3 ·
Without actually seeing a video of what it does on startup and without knowing if it smells of unburnt fuel or has a sweet smell in the exhaust I would guess ruptured egr cooler. Don't drive it if you want any chance of not blowing your head gaskets or cracking your heads.

#5 ·
just pull the egr valve and look for moisture/wetness in the intake plenum. if it's gooey in there, your cooler is blown

#6 · (Edited)
White smoke ussally means egr cooler failure. if you notice you coolant dispersing it will also mean egr. dont drive the truck your head gasket may go. if you have white smoke its coolant burning. if you have anyway to monitor temps, look to see if you oil temp is sky rocketing over your coolant temp. ive have multiple trucks with an egr cooler failure, its ussally from the oil cooler clogging up thats why i say check your temps, the oil cooler gets plugged and the coolant from the oil cooler goes into the egr cooler if its clogged coolant cant get thro to cool the egr gases efficient enough and causes the cooler to fail. so if you oil temp its at 230 and coolants at 190. your oil coolers bad which caused your egr to fail.
The coolant in the video looks like is mixed with oil, which means oil coolers bad, so your egr is most likely gone

I just fixed my truck myself. and shes running great now. my oil temp was at 240 and coolant was at 190. so i knew my oil cooler was bad which causes egr failure. if you have decent mechanical skills. i would suggest you do it your self. i pulled the parts off and replaced my oil cooled, my egr cooler was already deleted so i didnt need to worry about that. just the oil cooler, you still have to pull all the same parts as you do for a egr delete, i also updated some other part when i was in there.
but i got it all together got it started no more high oil temps and the truck runs great, shes got 200,000 miles on her

#7 ·
The video you posted is of your degas bottle, not the EGR cooler. The degas looks like it has oil in it (or is that just nasty looking coolant?) If you have white smoke and that is oil in your degas bottle, you have a blown EGR cooler as well as a blown oil cooler. Better stop driving it before you lock up the engine...

MikeB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.