Having problems w/03 6.0L can anyone help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Having problems w/03 6.0L can anyone help?

I have recently installed the superchips microtuner 1704. I now have it set on economy mode to maybe help with gas mileage, It seems to have a shifting problem but I think has something to do with the fuel to air ratio or intake and exhaust pressure not real sure. It chugs real hard and sounds bad when I go to get on it to pass a car it surges about four times and then launches with little or no black smoke. I ran the diagnostics check and it comes up with Internal Control mod kam error what is this? and what can I do to fix this problem. I unplugged the Egr valve and drove about 10 miles getting on and off of it but it did not seem to help. Can somebody help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

KAM code

Hey... The KAM error is a Keep Alive Memory code. KAM prevents stored data (radio presets, clock, etc...)from being lost when the truck is shut off. Usually, low battery voltage causes this problem. I can't think of a reason why the chip would cause this, and KAM wont cause the drivability problem you're having. My guess is at some point, you're batteries may have sucked down a little to low, and this code stored in the PCM. I don't know what Economy mode does with that chip, but if it does alter your fuel control, that will cause bogging, hesitation, low power, and even cause shift issues with the trans. I would plug the EGR connector back in, disable the chip, and see if you still have this problem. If you dont, you know the chip is the cause, and maybe the manufacturer can help you there. If you do still have a problem, I'd bring it in for service. Low base fuel pressure or high pressure oil system issues, as well as a host of other components, could definently cause your problem. Just remember to take the chip out before you bring it to a dealer!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
Carlo is on this like white on rice, set your truck to stock and see if the prob is still there. as far as the KAM the PCM (powertrain control module) doesn't give a rats about the clock or the presets, those are internal to the radio and it's memory power. there is still a KAM in the PCM it's self
it helps the PCM recall what altitude you were at when the truck was shut off last along with all of the trends for the engine which help it runn better and adapt to enviroment changes.

The biggest concern i have is if the KAM is dead then how would the PCM retain other trouble codes? there may be more DTC hidding in there that you need to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.