Coolant temp low oil temp high??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant temp low oil temp high???

Good Evening,

Quick question for you all...

190K miles no studs running "Looney Tune"

99% highway driving, rarely (anymore) do i WOT run it

within 6months- new oil cooler, egr delete, new powermax and ICP, IPR, EBP(X2), MAP sensor, new pigtails

injectors 4,6 and 7 replaced

I am an idiot and was running mainly water for coolant as I live down south and dont see freezing temps normally. Went to Upstate NY, a 750 mile trip, all temps and operation in general were great. 2 days later I overheat (235 coolant 202 oil), turns out I was low on coolant. temps right back to normal...

Now, that I refilled with ford gold, coolant sits at 182 and oil is at 200-208...

IMO a blown head gasket would heat the coolant up significantly.

My Coolant is very rusty from running straight water... Does a clogged oil cooler (6months old) sound reasonable from all the rust???

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like a clogged oil cooler for sure. My question is why was your coolant low??
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, your oil cooler is clogged, and you may have been low on coolant from overheating and evaporation. Btw, straight tap water does not give any protection from cavitation, i'll be surprised if that motor makes it.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

That coolant temp sounds about right for the winter time...

That oil temp does not sound good...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM

Oy vey. Another clogged oil cooler.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Yea , not a smart choice with even a older gas engine with only the radiator to worry about. The waterpumps in this engine has a high flowing waterpump and cavitation with it is a problem which is why certain coolants are recommended that will flow without causing damage to waterpump impeller or the housing where the water discharghes out of the pump.
You will have to do a acid flush then followed up with a soap (Cascade dishwasher soap) and then a good heavy flush with distilled water.
Once you have done that I would pull out the waterpump and inspect front cover for cavitation damage in pump housing. If the housing and waterpump look ok reinstall and then get yourself a quality coolant filter, (IPR recommended) and keep a eye on it.

Once you get that done you are surely going to need to pull out the oil cooler and install a new one. A quality ELC-1 coolant is what most of us would recommend to use for the engine, Ford Gold can also be used but will require more maintenance.

The reason you now see higher temps with the coolant in the truck is because water alone has better heat transfer than any coolant. Straight water will carry heat out of engine best, but it will damage the cooling system,pump,oil cooler, heater core, ect ect.
The coolant we run is a compromise and the percentage of Coolant/DI Water will have a effect on oil cooler temps. The higher percentage of water the lower the oil cooler temps but a 50/50 mix is the recommended mix.
Again you have some serious flushing work you will have to do before you tear into the oil cooler. Radiator and heater core need to have a flush with hose in both directions.

Good Luck with it, hope this helps...........
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM

yea, thanks a lot!! I will be flushing with restore and restore plus and many a gallon of distilled water and going for a new oil cooler. which do i use first, restore or restore plus?

My coolant was low because I forgot to bring a few clamps back up the hose, heater hose and the little hose in the intake, so for months there was a slow leak.

Also, it was mailnly water, but it was highly diluted ford gold for the most part.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM

also, coolant at a steady 182 when its 75* in January is not really winter weather. before all this i was a steady 193-193 both oil and coolant regardless how hard i was driving it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
head gasket, oil cooler, studs, temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.