trouble this morning hard start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trouble this morning hard start

I went up to lake tahoe this weekend and the temps were unusally cold even for there. Last night I parked my truck in the hotel parking lot about 9. This morning I went to start the truck and I cycled the glow plugs about 3 times. I then tried to start it and nothing it wanted to start but snorted and nothing I did not want to hold the key too long. I tried about 5 times then went back in to the hotel and came out 45 min later and tried again and on the 4th try it started and bucked and came to life. I will note that the temps overnight was -16 and when I went to start the truck it was -2 and no it wasnt plugged in due to the fact that it was in a hotel parking lot. My oil temp was 0 according to my gauges. I did change the oil last wed and put in some Rev-x. Do you guys think it was just the cold that really hindered the truck starting up?

Also wanted to add that the first few tries to start and the truck was cranking really slow but after I was able to start it and bring the oil temp up to 100 degrees I shut down waited a min and restarted and it cranked normaly and at normal speed. I drove about 350 miles home and no problems.

Last edited by westcoast; 01-13-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well first off i wouldnt cycle your glow plugs that might be your problem right there. Its bad to cycle them and wears out the GPR which might be causing your hard starting. The wait to start light is just a dummy light but the glow plugs stay on up to two minutes after you turn the key on. Typically our trucks will start at about 0 to -10 just fine, they might kick and groan but they will start.

If i were you i would check your glow plug relay and your actual glow plugs. maybe if you always cycle your glow plugs you might have worn them out prematurely. if its not that then i would have your batteries tested, maybe they arent as powerful as they should be, add that with the cold temp and you might have a tough time getting it started.

Thats might 2 cents, hopefully it helps you
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Could have been the fuel. It could have gelled some. I had this issue once when visiting family in Oregon. Temps were minus* overnight.(A water bottle froze in the truck) The truck didn't want to start, it took several tries to get it started. It was after that trip I found out about DieselKleen in the white bottle. It has anti-gel ingredients. The next time I went to Oregon I added the recommended amount before I went there. I didn't have any issue with starting that trip.

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economyPower Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boos - I've only read about the red bottle. Supposedly, it can be used to get to ungel fuel.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oh yea i didnt think about that either, you possibly have bought diesel from a warmer part of the country where they dont put antigel into their fuel and you took it up there and it gelled
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks, guys Im thinking it maybe the fuel thing. That was the only time Ive ever cycled the starter like that, I though that since it was that cold that it might help. My batteries were replaced about a year and a half ago and they are strong. My kids and wife left a couple water bottles and capri suns in the truck and they were all frozen solid.
I did fill up the tank in the Sacremento area about 100 miles away that def is in a warmer part of the state. So hopefully it wont happen again. Right now the temps here are 24 but Im home and I just plugged the truck in about a hour ago and planning to leave home in about 2 hours.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

I agree with the fuel being the problem. I went to Mt. Hood, Oregon to ski last year and didn't put in any anti-gel additive and it got below zero for about 8 hours while I was on the hill. The truck started fine, but then after about 30 seconds it died. Turns out the fuel had gelled in the lines, but not close to the engine since it was still warm enough to keep it from gelling. Now, regardless of where or when I fill up I always put in the diesel kleen or other type of additive.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, on average we don't get THAT cold in the winter that stations would add the additive to the fuel.

Hope you waved when you came through Sacramento! I'd have waved back.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.