Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 6.0 wont start when hot.

40K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  josephstephens 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 F250 6.0 and I have been having an issue of no start after hot. when cold it fires up in mere seconds. It recently had a hpop replacement, icp & ipr replaced. It has new oil cooler, egr delete, coolant filter, blue spring.

I returned to the shop that did the hpop and the mechanic could not figure it out. He said ficm voltage was good, fuel pressure was good and hpo pressure was between 1200-1500 on "no start"/ He had it for a week and could not figure it out with the equipment that he had. He recommended I take it to a dealership. so I took it to a local dealership that I buy parts from (they price match Tousely) and they have almost had it for two weeks. They think it is hpo related. I need some direction on dealing with this dealership and this truck.

#3 ·
Could be a bad ICP, if it's bad it can put IPR at wrong % and cause low power if opening up IPR too much.
Do you have ICP data, that is where I myself would start watch it as you go that and the IPR.

#5 ·
Could be bad standpipes, or the stc fittings on the high pressure oil hoses that connect to the standpipes and oil rails.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#6 ·
Could be a weak HPOP, and or HPOP discharge tubes were known to rub HPOP cover causing leaks in the tube. Had this same issue myself, caused the same issues your experiencing. New HPOP didn't fix it so I replaced discharge tube, upgraded HPOP Cover and all is well.

Here's a pic of mine with the hole worn in the tube. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ke62qgdxe...ics/Tube_2.jpg

#7 ·
Previous mechanic used wrong o-ring on hpop and/or old o-ring. The dealership mechanic showed me everything that was done wrong and took pictures for. I am certain when I get it back it will be done right. He is replacing all the o-rings and gaskets, and one standpipe.

Southend the 03 six-uhohs did not have the stc.

#8 ·
There are stc, snap to connect, fittings on the high pressure hoses that connect to the oil rail and standpipes. Not that we hear about failures often, but they are there.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#9 ·
Wouldn't be the first time I heard of the wrong o-ring being on the discharge side of the HPOP. That's a good find. If that's all it was, you'll be up and running in no time.

#12 ·
I've got an 03 6.0 I've replaced the nipple cup o-rings the injector o-rings and the hpop and still having hot start issues only builds 350 psi icp and when hooked up to air there is nothing leaking under the valve covers just bubbles under the oil cooler where the hpop picks up oil. Runs great just won't start back after you kill it. Anybody ever had this issue and it be something like the ipr or icp sensor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.