05 6.0 oil leak rear seal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 oil leak rear seal

Heres 1 for you..this may take awhile..I have an 05 6.0 that has an oil leak still.. 1st noticed at 5k mi during an oil change. I took the truck to ford and they replaced the rear main seal.After the repairs were made, and without even driving the truck for 100 miles the oil leak was back. I took the truck back and they again stated the rear main seal was leaking again and would have to be replaced. After the 2nd repair, and without even driving 100 miles the oil leak once again reared its ugly head. I took the truck back, and this time they said it was a transmission leak, and an oil hose ( which I knew was a lie) which they claimed they repaired. After picking up the truck and driving less than 20 miles the oil leak was back again. Took the truck back again and this time a so called (ford diesel engineer) inspected the truck and again recommended a rear main seal replacement. After the repairs were made the truck was leaking oil again after on driving less than 100 mi. I called fords customer service representative ( who is in florida, but handles california) and he suggested I take the truck to a different dealer and have repairs attempted 1 last time. He stated that if this didnt work, ford would buy back the vehicle. I took the truck to a different dealership, and again (the same ford diesel engineer) inspected the truck, but this time he recommended the bottom end of the engine be replaced. I tried contacting the the customer representative from ford for 2 days, to explain that this would be unacceptable without something in writing that would extend my existing warranty, but he didnt return my call. I went to the dealership on saturday morning and picked up the vehicle, without the repairs made, and low and behold the representive from ford called me within 5 minutes, and asked why I was picking up the vehicle. I asked why he didnt return my calls for 2 days, but found the time to call me back on saturday morning, 5 minutes after I left the dealership and he said he really busy at work. I asked for a written statement from ford which would extend my warranty, and asked for a statement in writing that ford would replace my truck if I continued to have problems, and he stated that he could not do that. I am now at a point where I am writing a letter to fords corporate offices, and then to an attorney if this matter is not resolved..If anyone has had the same type of experience, or a responcible suggestion, I would like to hear from you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I can't help you directly, but I can bump this up. FWIW, my rear main seal was replaced and the oil leak went away, but personally, I think they are over-diagnosed on these engines...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 AM
I don't know nuttin....

As i understand it, rear main seals are very uncommon repairs on these. How much oil are you talking about, mine has shown oil on the trans bell housing since i got it with 29k miles but never a drip in the driveway and never have i had to add oil between 5k mile oil changes. I seem to recall hearing how common this condition is and its accepted by most...its like the rising of the tides and the changing seasons...its just meant to be oily on the bell housing of a 6.0.
My thoughts on it are, it leaks a little when it cools down as metals shrink and then all the oil settles in the pan and no more leak...if that makes sense. Then when its started again, the heat expands these metals that might have leaked and they seal up again while in operation.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Oh and, don't piss off Ford customer service, they can and will cancel your warranty just to get the last word in...take a wild guess at how i know this.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to BOILERTURF2387
I too have an oily bell housing. Just like chenry I have oil on the housing, but never a drop on the driveway....
Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have noticed that the leak is constant, and there is always a drop of oil on the housing, which drips on the driveway. I have more now, after the seal has been replaced, than I did the 1st 2 times. The oil reservoir and tranny housing have oil on them. Ive taken pics and will send them to ford along with all of the maintenance records..
Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
As i understand it, rear main seals are very uncommon repairs on these. How much oil are you talking about, mine has shown oil on the trans bell housing since i got it with 29k miles but never a drip in the driveway and never have i had to add oil between 5k mile oil changes. I seem to recall hearing how common this condition is and its accepted by most...its like the rising of the tides and the changing seasons...its just meant to be oily on the bell housing of a 6.0.
My thoughts on it are, it leaks a little when it cools down as metals shrink and then all the oil settles in the pan and no more leak...if that makes sense. Then when its started again, the heat expands these metals that might have leaked and they seal up again while in operation.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one then. I was somewhat suprised to see some oil seeping down the rear part of my block the other day when looking for the block heater. Looks like there is a bit around that area too.

None in the drive way though and the stick always reads as it should. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the bottom of the motor is potentially part of the problem and it's on their dime you should certainly give that a try... All you're looking to do is get it fixed so let them have at it...

Ken....
Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat View Post
If the bottom of the motor is potentially part of the problem and it's on their dime you should certainly give that a try... All you're looking to do is get it fixed so let them have at it...

Ken....

Good point Ken, I certainly appreciate it. I'll keep an eye on mine and if it gets worse, I'll let them look at it. Especially before the warranty goes out!!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksdme2 View Post
I too have an oily bell housing. Just like chenry I have oil on the housing, but never a drop on the driveway....
got the same thing on my 06. weird huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.