leaking ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking ?

I've noticed over the past few days, there is a small puddle under the truck every a.m., on the pass. side towards the back of the motor. Not sure what it is, no smell, looks like water but feels like oil. Any one have any idea. I checked my fluids and every thing is at norm level. I put a clear bucket under it so hopefully I can tell what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 AM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

could it be the infamous bell housing drip, which typically ends up being a leaky censor? Look under the truck and give us some better info on where the drip is comming from, and you will bebetter assisted. good luck! i know my 6.0 developes a small leak , but the drip never seems to hit the ground!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Most likely it is a EGR coolant hose leak. Mine has been leaking for about a year. Took for ever to find it. One day it would be leaking on the left back of the block and then it would be leaking at the right back of the block. To verify what it is, run truck for a while and than let it sit for a couple of hours until it starts leaking. Open hood and climb up on the radiator support. Next to the passenger side head, in front and below the turbo stand is a three inch hose you can barely see the end of. Try to work a couple of fingers under the hose up under the turbo stand to see if you can feel the leak. That's were mine is leaking. Going to replace today.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I looked a little closer and it looks like it might be coming from the corner of the block, just above the starter and just below the exhaust manifold. But I still dont know if its oil or antifreeze. Any help please, I dont want to take it to the stealership if I dont have to.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:19 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

you must be able to tell the difference between oil and antifreeze, antifreeze will have a sort of sweet smell, and oil will be thicker and, well will smell like oil. my guess is oil, and could be from a censor, like i said mine has the same oily residue but no drops on the ground??? just try and see if you or someone you nois able to tell what it is, then post again.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
Could be from your a/c? run your a/c alot? is the liquid clear but has a oily film ontop?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

If its an 04 with a 6.0 it could be the ICP sensor. I believe they will leak oil and they are located on the back of the motor on the early build 6.0's. Otherwise could be the EGR cooler itself leaking, if its coolant. Dab some of the mystery fluid on a white papertowel and see if its gold colored or if its black. Gold would be the coolant and obviously black would indicate oil leaking. Check that stuff out.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 PM

The dealer said he thought it was the egr cooler hose, he said they have had a lot of problems with them recently. So it should be covered under warrenty. Hopefully this cures the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.