Truck wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck wont start

This isnt my truck im posting this for someone.

It is a 2006 f250 6.0 over 100k miles.

The truck staled a few days ago and the WATER IN FUEL light on the dash came on. Drained the water out, replaced both fuel filters while we were at it.
WATER IN FUEL light went off, but truck wouldn't start. Forgot to bleed the air. So we bled the air out, still no start. There is no air left in the lines.

We used some ether to start the truck, which did start it. The truck would only stay on when reving over 3000 rpms, anything under that it would stall. We left it running like that multiple times and still stalled after.

So a mechanic came in and hooked his computer up and it said COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS.

Im thinking now that the water in fuel light was lit up because of problems with the PCM or a sensor(s), and not even a problem with water in the fuel. Water in the fuel wouldnt of caused it to stall anyway right? im not sure on that.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Any certain sensor that would not let the truck start or stay on under high RPMS? Truck ran fine before this and just stalled one day and has been being a typical 6.0 ever since.

Any help would be great, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Try unplugging the icp sensor and see if it starts. That sensor is probably the most replaced part on a 6.0 If you unplug it the FICM goes into a preset mode and it will run if it is the sensor that is bad. My truck died recently and it turned out to be the FICM. One of the codes it threw was the communication issue. I have not gathered all the parts to get it running again so can not say for sure that the FICM threw that code but I never saw a check engine light before so apparently all the codes came on at the same time. Hopefully it is not your FICM but I am guessing at this point that there can be some connection between the communication code and the FICM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Alright ill unplug that and see if it works. It does seem like a fuel problem and the injectors themselves shouldnt be bad... Whether it is the FICM or ICP idk, but as of now thats the best bet, ill try it and get back to the thread. BTW this might be important to add in, the truck runs strictly on off-road fuel. Not my truck so plz dont give me crap for it lol.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone else has any ideas id appreciate the input. Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

let's start with the communication issue. when you cycle the key on, do the warning lights on the cluster illuminate briefly? if they do, check the cig lighter/aux power fuse. it supplies power to te diagnostic port. 90% of the time, no comm with the scan tool is caused by the cig lighter fuse being blown.
or did he mean the truck was throwing communication codes? was he able to interface with the trucks network?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for that information. When my FICM blew and I pulled codes I got a P0265, P0268and a V0155. Someone somewhere along the line respoded that there are no V codes and I have not seen a V code on any code chart. Their best guess was that my scanner is not totally compatable with the diesel and is probably misreading something. It did however read on the scanner no communication with instrument cluster.

Is the aux power fuse in the box behind the panel under the steering column and what type fuse is it? Long story but I finally have all the parts to get mine running again I just need find the time to make the hundred plus mile trip to where it is at to bolt everything back on. I will check that fuse because not knowing for absolute certainty where the voltage spike came from that took out the FICM I want to check all possibilities. Not looking for a rematch.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if the aux fuse is blown, it won't allow comm between the scan tool and ANY modules. not just the IC.
but the fuse should be a 20amp mini. don't recall the exact fuse position, but yes, it is in the dr. side knee panel
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Never occurred to me that the code could be the scanner not communicating with the IC. I was thinking that the engine or? was not communicating with the instrument cluster. I have another $750.00 worth of parts in the trunk of my car waiting for a break in the schedule to drive up to the mountain to put them on and hopefully get this thing running. The prevailing wisdom is that it was all because of a voltage spike, probably from the alternator but I don't want to take any chances with ANYTHING. I don't want this truck dying again on the way to the chevy dealer
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
let's start with the communication issue. when you cycle the key on, do the warning lights on the cluster illuminate briefly? if they do, check the cig lighter/aux power fuse. it supplies power to te diagnostic port. 90% of the time, no comm with the scan tool is caused by the cig lighter fuse being blown.
or did he mean the truck was throwing communication codes? was he able to interface with the trucks network?
Thanks for the reply. He just said communication problem, so the PCM is not picking up a sensor maybe.. Hopefully a bad sensor is just malfunctioning the PCM.

Ill know tomorrow if its the ICP sensor. Ill check the fuse to.

Also someone just told me there is a security feature that doesnt let the truck start without deactivating it. Idk why it would throw a code if it was that. And nothing was done for the truck the go into a security mode.

I just have to start eliminating possible problems tomorrow. Thanks guys idk much about these 6.0's i own a 7.3 just trying to help someone out.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Wasn't the ICP sensor. Just going to take it in to ford dealer and see what they have to say. Ill post what the problem was when it is fixed. Thanks tho guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.