6.0 oil cooler advice - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I understand every motor has its faults and when you take care of them most of the time it's a stout motor I just have such a sour taste in my mouth I'm just he'll bent on kicking this things ***. Your thread about putting the bpd oil cooler in was one that had me inspired to do it, even after you re-did the head gasket and everything. I would have lost my mind lol. My biggest hurdle with the future swap will be the trans. Which I have a few friends that know their way around the Allison and they are the main factors in that part cause I was just going to use the 47re.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I'm just the type of person to over engineer and over build something so it doesn't happen again, I'm about to scrap my 1000 hp car in my garage to change the block so I can get an extra .4L. It's just the way I am and my wife hates it lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just so you know that allison trans is junk compared to a properly taken care of 5R110. You are paying for the name in these small pickups with the allison transmission.

Like Eli stated it's your money spend it how you want, but for the little problems you have had it doesn't warrant doing a full drive train swap.

Also your ruptured EGR cooler was caused by a clogged oil cooler which leads me to believe you either were monitoring those PID's and NOT addressing the situation when it needed to be done or just weren't monitoring it as it could have been avoided, also if you didn't replace the oil cooler when the egr cooler was done then that is most likely the cause of why it has ruptured. None of which is the truck or engines fault.

EDIT: I forgot to add the word "not" in the above statement.

Last edited by Tuscany; 01-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Just so you know that allison trans is junk compared to a properly taken care of 5R110. You are paying for the name in these small pickups with the allison transmission.

Like Eli stated it's your money spend it how you want, but for the little problems you have had it doesn't warrant doing a full drive train swap.

Also your ruptured EGR cooler was caused by a clogged oil cooler which leads me to believe you either were monitoring those PID's and addressing the situation when it needed to be done or just weren't monitoring it as it could have been avoided, also if you didn't replace the oil cooler when the egr cooler was done then that is most likely the cause of why it has ruptured. None of which is the truck or engines fault.

Herein lies the golden truth
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No doubt at that point i was blind to monitoring the truck and only when i noticed egr fail did i ask advice about it from a guy at ford which was the head diesel tech and he told me take care of the egr and you should be good. I had never owned a ford diesel and really never looked into the problem, and the egr seemed to fix the problem until i got the programmer to fix the cel then found the cts which in turn led me to the deltas which then led me to monitoring and the solution for the oil cooler. We aren't born with knowledge of a problem nor the solution and I can bet on it neither of you knew of the problems when you purchased your respective vehicles.I really appreciate both of your taking the time to answer my questions and inform me any info I might be overlooking. If you look you will see i have only been a member here since 2012 and thats when I did most of my investigation. Now that I fix the problem I will most likely wait until the motor blows itself before i do the cummins. 1 because I don't have a lot of time and 2 I'm a procrastinator.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkoop View Post
No doubt at that point i was blind to monitoring the truck and only when i noticed egr fail did i ask advice about it from a guy at ford which was the head diesel tech and he told me take care of the egr and you should be good. I had never owned a ford diesel and really never looked into the problem, and the egr seemed to fix the problem until i got the programmer to fix the cel then found the cts which in turn led me to the deltas which then led me to monitoring and the solution for the oil cooler. We aren't born with knowledge of a problem nor the solution and I can bet on it neither of you knew of the problems when you purchased your respective vehicles.I really appreciate both of your taking the time to answer my questions and inform me any info I might be overlooking. If you look you will see i have only been a member here since 2012 and thats when I did most of my investigation. Now that I fix the problem I will most likely wait until the motor blows itself before i do the cummins. 1 because I don't have a lot of time and 2 I'm a procrastinator.
I researched the 6.0 for a year before I bought mine. Not saying you did or didn't or that everyone does, but for me money is a precious commodity and I need it for other things not related to fixing a broken truck that I'm still making payments on. I understand that you didn't know and your here to learn and there is nothing wrong with that.

But what your trying to accomplish with the truck by doing this swap can easily be done by studding, deleting and putting a BulletProofDiesel Remote Oil Cooler in the truck. WAY cheaper than doing a full drive train swap. If you do these things the motor should last you a lifetime with proper maintenance and monitoring.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to address the allison decision when I did most of the research from various form many people banged on a stock allison compared to a modified 47re, 48re 4r100, and 5r110 siting price. This is true from what I understand the allison is much more expensive than these transmission in stock form and modified they are probably stronger but that means extra parts i have to buy and people to put them together and possibly extra down time if I miss one and waiting for it to come in and finding on. Yes I do believe the 5r110 will hold up fairly well to a stock cummins maybe one with slight power increases but i still have to do all the trans tuning so why not go with a transmission with 6 gears. NOTE!! I did not come here to start an argument of any kind only to find answers and I am certain you both have tons more experience then myself when it comes to these trucks.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If this oil cooler holds up and I have no more problems with this motor I may just take the money to and put it into the 6.0. If it takes a dump then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. But as of right now I'll be putting money on the side just incase lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

I can almost certainly guarantee that your OEM style oil cooler WILL fail again in the future. I am on the would be 4th OEM if I didn't say F it and buy the BPD oil cooler kit so I never have to worry about it again.

A properly tuned 5r110 can safely handle upwards of 550RWHP. A fully build one can handle upwards of 1000RWHP and is MUCH cheaper to rebuild than a Allison transmission.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Bryan, stop scareing people!

I have only had ONE oil cooler fail me... I have clean coolant. The ONLY reason my 1st cooler failed was cuz I ran a chemical flush through it (I was monitoring temps before flushing and they were good)

My 2nd cooler shows not a single degree more delta now as it did a year ago... It will last me a long time

Not Everyone has issues with their oil coolers and some others have many issues.
Just my two cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.