6.0 intermit over-heat under load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 intermit over-heat under load

2003 6.0 EGR delete, 5 inch exhaust, mild tune 180,000

Will over heat sometimes under a good load, but then the next time its ok. Happens more at interstate speed (above 70), never gets warm anyother time.

Never had coolant in oil, tested coolant cap good till 15 psi. Never seen anything besides black smoke out the pipe. Cooling fan kicks in when its warm like it should.

Noticed oil temp is high (260F) before the coolant gets hot . Leaning toward oil cooler replacement.

Thoughts? Will try a new oil cooler and report back what I find
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
260 eot? Your truck is going to self destruct if you keep driving it. You have a monitor? What is your coolant temp?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

Last edited by southend; 01-02-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=southend;3436446]260 eot? Your truck is going to self destruct if you keep driving it. You have a monitor? What is your coolant temp?

260 is the oil temp when the engine overheats (ECT 240), not all the time.

Im just trying to figure out if the oil is overheating and causing the coolant to over heat.

With the miles on the truck and the lack of a coolant filter untill recently, I'm still leaning towards the oil cooler.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should seriously stop driving the truck. Normal Ect is 190. The oil temp should not exceed 15 greater spread, that would be your delta reading. Check both of yout temp sensors after it has cooled overnight. They should read close to each other within a degree or so. At the temps you posted, your truck should be defueling. If I was you, I would flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat and the water pump, then recheck deltas at op temp on flat ground at 65mph. How are you reading pid's?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

You must be pulling one heck of a load to get those temps. Unless you're not telling us something, it sure looks like you have a blocked cooler! Unless you want a much larger repair bill, flushing and then replacing it should be your #1 priority. BTW, if your temps get any higher, your truck will go into limp mode. Oil temps that high for longer duration can severely shorten its useful life, leading to engine damage. Of course the high ECT has its own problems to deal with, including fluid breakdown and more sludge forming in the coolant system.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 AM

find the flattest 5-10mile stretch you can, do 60mph and see what your deltas are. if they exceed more than 10* apart you really should change the oil cooler! i agree with everybody...STOP TOWING TILL YOU GET HER FIXED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.