04 is down! Cracked fuel filter cap? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 is down! Cracked fuel filter cap?

Ok well let me start at the beginning. I left for Afghanistan at the beginning of the year and my 04 F250 was left here with my wife. She barely drove it while I was gone. I get home and the truck seems to run fine so I load up my trailer with my 4Runner on it and the truck starts blowing grey smoke. I finally figure out that it was the #8 injector and replace that which fixes the problem. Now about a month later the truck has been idling a little rough at first start in the mornings but goes away after a minute or two of running. I figured it was just the weather getting cold. Well last night we are driving home at 130 am from a new years eve party and i had let my tank get really low. It said I had 10 miles before empty, well the truck starts sputtering so I figure I'm running out of fuel, I pull into a gas station and fill up. the truck barely starts and wont hardly move so I pull it into a spot and hope it clears up but it only gets worse and dies. I check the codes on my edge insight and and it says #8 contribution code I clear it and try starting it again, it runs for a minute dies again check the codes again and it says #2 contribution code. I turn it off and leave it there. This morning I head over and try it again it starts right up like normal with no codes so i drive it the 2 1/2 miles home right as i pull in it starts sputtering again and dies gives #8 code again. So of course I'm pissed off and start checking the wiring harness to the injectors while its barely running. as it dies I hear a hissing sound coming from near the fuel filter cap. I can see bubbling coming from the square hole on top. Its a tiny crack in the fuel filter cap. Can this tiny crack be causing all my problems? Has this killed my injectors? What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's possible, you could also check for combustion gases in the filter housing, if the new cap doesn't clear it up.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What does it mean if I have combustion gases in the filter housing?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrugby09 View Post
What does it mean if I have combustion gases in the filter housing?
It typically means an injector is loose, copper sealing washer is bad, or the nozzle is bad.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that makes sense to me. Thanks, I'll let ya'll know what happens once I get this filter cap on.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrugby09 View Post
Ok that makes sense to me. Thanks, I'll let ya'll know what happens once I get this filter cap on.
You can check for combustion gases in the fuel rail, pull the secondary filter, hfcm fuse, and ficm relay. Have someone crank the truck over, and see if you get gas or bubbles in the housing. Keep us updated.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

Your report is a bit different, but there have been a few posts of cracks in the fuel housing causing problems like yours. My initial thoughts when I heard the first reports that fuel would be escaping, not sucking air. Whether your problem is coincidental with your low fuel situation is unknown, but it is possible that you ran a few injectors dry and may have had combustion gas going through your system.

Caps are inexpensive. Southend's test would be a good idea to see if you damaged any injectors. The early trucks had no built in protection to try and protect the injectors when running out of fuel.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok i did the test you suggested and while the engine was cranking there were no gas bubbles. With the key turned on but with out cranking the motor bubbles did come from the port where the larger fuel line comes in but stopped during cranking....?

The new cap should be here tomorrow so once I put that on I will see if anything changes.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Make sure your frame mounted filter cap is snug, maybe a good idea to pull it and make sure the oring is seated correctly. If not, it can pull air through the lower filter.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll check that tomorrow as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.