Barbequed FICM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Barbequed FICM

I apparently have found the problem with my hard start no power. I sent the FICM out to have it bench tested and the logic board was barbequed. $400.00later it is on its way back to me. I had a long chat with the repair person who advised me not to plug this thing in and start the truck without replacing the alternator. Does anyone know of a place to get the alternator plug with pigtails on it? About a year ago I had to repair the alt wiring which was pretty well hacked up because the alternator light was flashing occasionally. I tried to get a plug at that time and was unsuccessful. The one that the ford dealer showed was a two wire plug and mine is a three wire. I repaired the wiring and put new connectors on and wire tied everything in place but at the price of killing the FICM would rather repair this thing correctly if I can find the parts. Even if I can find the bare plastic plug, I have in my electrical kit most of the factory connectors and if it uses the same snap in flat connector that the earlier car alternators used I have abut a hundred of them. Also does anyone know of a surce of supply on the rectifier and regulator. The prices I am getting on alternators is pretty steep and when I did this for a living we repaired rather than replaced and I have been inside just about every alternator built up to the early 80's and they are not rocket science. I have tried the usual sources, pepboys, autozone etc. and keep getting the same answer that they do not supply those parts. The suppliers that I used to use have long since gone out of business. If anyone knows of a supplier in the san fernando valley area of los angeles that might have any or all of the above I would be extremely grateful. So far I have pumped about $1100.00 worth of parts into this thing in the last 7000 miles and if I can save a couple of hundred by fixing the alternator rather than replacing it I would like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you checked Napa? Right around $200 for an alt IIRC. When mine went I called the dealer and they wanted $400+ for a rebuilt, so went with Napa instead.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will stop by this afternoon for a personal visit. When I let my fingers do the walking I was getting consistent answers from all the usual parts stores in the 325 to 350 range plus core charge which I would get back, and no help on the plug. Also I have read many threads that talk about putting on two and three alternators before getting a good one, ficm repair also mentioned that issue. As it is about a 200 mile round trip to where the truck died I am not looking forward to making more than one more trip. The current alternator must be charging as with all the cranking I did attempting to figure out what the problem was the batteries were still at 12.5 so they must have had sufficient charge to maintain the voltage with all that draw, also the battery capacity must still be good. The only issue is probable alternator voltage spikes, not a confirmed issue but being a known problem that is likely what took out the FICM. The only parts that should cause voltage spikes are the rectifier and regulator, and possibly the previously mentioned wiring. If I repair/replace all three I should be covered.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The reason you are haveing trouble finding rebuild parts is tey are not sold to the general public anymore. They don't want us fixing our own.

If you have an alternator/starter repair shop nearby he may be willing to tell you where he gets his. NOTE: You may have to buy in lots of 50 tho, when I asked my friend who does this he told me he had to buy em himself in lots of 50 to 100.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM

The alternator plug changed some time in the 2004 model year, napa carries both styles. I bought a replacement alternator from Bullet Proof Diesel and have had good luck with it. Cheapest replacement that I could find and because it was new there was no core involved. I will now have my old alternator rebuilt locally and keep as a spare.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
The reason you are haveing trouble finding rebuild parts is tey are not sold to the general public anymore. They don't want us fixing our own.

I don't know where you got that ?

this place and other have no issues selling parts

#1 High Output Alternator,200-250-300-350,High Amp Alternators, Starters and more
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM

also if u in fact fried the logic side vs the common power supply side

did u address the programming issues if it was replaced?

and not to be a pain but that huge post all conglomerated together is hard to follow

break em up a little for us simpletons please
Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK let me attempt to simplify, I have been told that my brain resembles a large file drawer marked miscellanous. As a result things tend to run together.

The price of a rebuilt alternator is considerably less than I was quoted on the phone. The problem is I don't know which alternator is on the truck and it is about a 200 mile round trip to look under the hood to find out. The truck is an 04 F350 6.0 crew cab 4WD with pretty much all the bells and whistles. It has one alternator, apparently there are some that have two. What is the most likely alternator for the truck to have. Napa shows 110, 120, 130 and 140 amp alternators.

I would like to be able to get the parts locally as I have a window of opportunity this weekend to get up there and rescue the truck if I need to order parts, with the holiday I am not sure that I can get them in time.

I will call bulletproof diesel and see when they think they can get one to me. I definately like the idea of new vs. rebuilt with all the horror stories of putting on three and four alternators to get a good one.

As for the FICM it was flashed two upgrades ago. According to FICM repair that upgrade works better than the most recent upgrade in my temperature zone. I am relying on his expertise because I don't have a clue.

Just out of curiosity are there any electrical engineer types out there that have thought about developing a 12 volt surge protector? If these ficm's are that sensitive to voltage spikes wouldn't it make sense to eliminate the spikes?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM

the voltage spike isn't the FICM's enemy
it's poor solder joints and the type of solder along with start up cycles and can also be exacerbated with weak batteries

bulletproof ? not sure what they would get you ,, I though you were after an Alternator ?

that would Be DC power // If u need a link post back .

thanks for making that easier to read !!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I don't know where you got that ?

this place and other have no issues selling parts

#1 High Output Alternator,200-250-300-350,High Amp Alternators, Starters and more
That is a specialty supplyer I am talking about your everyday parts houses.
I do not buy online so I tend not to think of them.

My customers want their truck back that day not 3 to 5 days later while I wait on a part. If I can't get it overnight they will take it somewheres else. I had over 500 competitors listed in the phonebook alone. Thats in lesss than a 100 mile radius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.