Major overhaul coming! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major overhaul coming!

So I've had a small dribble leak of oil between the block and transmission. Took it to Ford twice while in warranty and they said it was the rear main each time so they replaced it...twice. Still leaks. Took it back and they did further testing, consulted with Ford directly, and came to the conclusion after 3 weeks that it was the bed plate seal. Super! Good news is the dealership is going to pay for it since they misdiagnosed the problem while it was in warranty.

Here is my question(s). While the engine is out, I would like them to do some work to it like head studs, oil cooler, replace EGR cooler, etc. I looked on bulletproofdiesel.com and compared thoroughbreddiesel.com for the same parts and bulletproof is way more expensive for some reason. Also, BP sends OEM head gaskets in their kit to do head studs while Thoroughbred sells black onyx by sinister. Which one should I go with for head gasket? The head studs will be ARP.

Also, which exhaust should I run with? I'm looking at the 4" turbo-back MBRP stainless kit that would use my existing cat. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM

I should note that the dealership who misdiagnosed it twice is not the dealership that is going to do the work. They are farming the work out to a diesel specialty shop 45 miles away. They have the facility and correct engine rotisserie to do the job.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
BPD is more expensive for a reason. They have a far superior product vs OEM. As far as head gaskets go, ALWAYS use OEM Ford head gaskets.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Their ARP kits are $50 more expensive. I was also only pricing a replacement oil cooler...not their super fancy air cooled oil cooler kit. It was more expensive. Also, the lifetime warranty drilled out EGR cooler was also more expensive for the same item with thoroughbred. Just wondering if I'm missing something.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

BPD doesn't even offer OEM coolers. Post the links to where you are looking.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Here is the oil cooler from BPD for $403.88 + shipping: Ford Engine Oil Cooler for 6.0L Diesel

Here is the oil cooler from Thoroughbred for $310 (free shipping): Oil Cooler Kit For Ford 6.0L Powerstroke

Here is the EGR cooler from BPD for $350 + shipping: BulletProof EGR Cooler, Square, Ford 6.0L, Lifetime Warranty

Here is the EGR cooler from Thoroughbred for $319 (free shipping): 6.0L EGR Cooler upgrade by Sinister Diesel Mfg

Here is the ARP head studs from BPD for $525 (plus shipping): ARP Head Studs for Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Here is the ARP head studs from Thoroughbred for $449 (free shipping): ARP Head Studs - 6.0L Ford, Dodge 5.9L, Bolts
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Well, you have shown me something I've never seen. I never noticed OEM oil coolers on BPD's website before. If you're going all OEM, then go with the cheapest place. Same for the studs. DO NOT use Black Onyx gaskets though. They have a higher failure rate than OEM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Probably never notice because I've never went to their site looking for OEM parts.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Don't really want to do it myself but $310 versus $2,200...hmm...the $400 part could fail 5x before I recovered my initial investment (200k miles if one was changed every 40k miles). My 2007 only has 46k miles currently! Of course, I am only considering parts costs and that the nicer air cooler would keep the oil cooler in extreme heat, which is a plus.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

True. Another thing to consider is the BPD oil cooler completely eliminates the possibility of ever mixing oil and coolant due to a ruptured oil cooler. If you plan on keeping the truck it is worth the investment. You doing the work yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.