05 F250 SD 6.0 Missing on a Cylinder - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 F250 SD 6.0 Missing on a Cylinder

Okay, thanks for reading this first off everyone. Here's my problem, I recently went a little to long on an oil change, about 20k. But no miss at all before I got back home. Then changed the oil to a fresh 12 quarts of motorcraft 15w40 along with 3 quarts of Lucas oil treatment. It recommended 1 per every 4 of oil, anyhow had always used it but at a rate of 14 qts conventional and 1 Lucas not 3. So less than 25 miles later i shut it off and the miss started the next time I started it cold and never went away.

Now per a diesel mechanics recommendations I've heated up the engine and drained out that oil and installed 5w40 rotella t6 synthetic with no Lucas. The miss was still there and now its coming and going. The same mechanic said these injectors don't go bad they just get clogged up and dirty and need cleaning sometimes. All I know is I as a vehicle buyer/owner shouldnt have to pull the valve covers to physically clean injectors every 50k miles.

Same mechanic says run some seafoam with next tank of fuel and if that doesn't clear it up that I'm left paying a dealer shop $160 to run the injector test and let me know which one is acting up. Any good advice or knowledge of place to go in St Louis to get injector diagnostics done please let me know, I'm a 1st time diesel owner and evidently picked a great one to learn on.

Thanks

Last edited by PowerStroker72; 12-28-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wow... There is so much bad in your post

First off, you should never EVER run a newer diesel truck for 20k miles... Period! The oil shears and loses its attributes to do it's job and will cause havock on your motor, which your are seeing now. 3-5k miles in betweek oil change depending on how you drive.

Next, you will not fix anything by "cleaning" the injectors by taking them out.

Also, DO NOT put seafoam in a HEUI style engine. Neither in the oil or fuel. What you do want to add in your oil is Rev-X.That might save the injectors but im pretty sure you messed a few up.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Give that supposed diesel mechanic a swift for giving you horrible information. Start running Rev-X in the oil and change it after a couple thousand miles and run Rev-X again. Hopefully you'll avoid having to replace injectors but don't be surprised if you end up having to.

Oh yeah, I can see it being accidental going over by 1k miles, but 15k, that's no accident. Maintenance, maintenance and more maintenance is key with this engine.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not discounting what you said about oil change intervals as I've read a lot about the 6.0 in the past few days and that was one of the topics. But that being said my engine was running great until 2 days after I changed my oil to the new motorcraft oil and Lucas. Also the miss has intermittently gone away since changing the motor craft and Lucas to rotella t6 5w40, and a mechanic/shopowner told me just a few minutes ago that I shouldn't run the 5w40 rotella but only 15w40. So who the heck do I listen to ya know?

Sure it could be an injector but there lay my issue, not wanting to take it up my you know what by a jerk or scammer, I don't know what shop in my area is honest and knowledgeable on these 6.0l diesels. Plus when I say I only want the injector test ran so I can replace the bad one myself their attitude totally changes about the call like I'm wanting some top secret info or whatever.

Last edited by PowerStroker72; 12-28-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Motorcraft or racor filters with matching caps, only, i'm guessing you haven't checked or changed your fuel filters, or checked for water in the water separator? Fuel injectors typically fail when there is dirty fuel, oil, or lack of fuel pressure. 20k on the oil in the heui system is just plain bad, not to mention the soot buildup. You may want to pull your egr and check for clogging. Get a monitor on that truck.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Do some more research on here and you'll find out real quick who's feeding you BS and who's telling you right. These trucks run a lot better in 5w-40 than 15w-40 and I don't think there will be to many people here disagree with that. Oil change intervals are crucial on the 6.0 because of the type of injection system. The injectors are hydraulically actuated and electronically fired so anything you put in your oil goes right through the injectors. 20k miles on an oil change will junk injectors and possibly IPR valve and HPOP.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

No one wants to beat on you, but it is pretty obvious what happened here. The additive advice is somewhat misplaced due to HEIU.

Regular oil, especially old regular oil, will varnish and carbon. Your injectors are the tightest tolerances and highest pressure/temperature in the engine. Just a little varnish will cause stiction. If too much varnish, it leads to scoring and sticking; at this point it is not fixable without a rebuild. The good news is your lesson learned isn't going to cost you more than 1 or 2 injectors for now. BTW, you don't clean these injectors, but they will probably need a rebuild every 150-300k depending on operating conditions

Many turbocharged engines require synthetic oil only due to the high temperature breakdown with regular oil. Since ours are diesel (slightly cooler running), Ford figured regular oil would be OK with a short service cycle. The 15w40 is for trucks that live in the south, or run 16 hrs/day and never really cool down! I have been running 0w40 or 5w40 in my diesels (trucks, tractors, skid-steer) for over 10 years. It really helps with cold weather operation and the friction modifiers and stabilizers in the synthetic oil prevent oil breakdown.

I hope you have luck with the Archoil or Rev X. Maybe you have dodged the first bullet.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 12-28-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: :)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input everyone, my truck is used for work and personal reasons. When work it is running the better part of 15 to 18 hours a day, if I sleep in it in the cold or hot its likely closer to 20 to 22 hours a day so 15w40 should be okay as it has been until now. But I havent owned this truck.through a winter until now so maybe the thinner 5w40 is better when colder. I started it earlier cold, had it plugged in but otherwise was cold. It was missing for the first couple minutes then just started hitting on all 8 and smoothed out. Then within a few minutes of that it like stuttered like it lost all power a split second then continued running but missing again. Acts like some weird electrical issue but I dunno. Will keep at it that's all I can do but have to keep using it in the meantime and that's what worries me, don't want to mess anything else up.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStroker72 View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone, my truck is used for work and personal reasons. When work it is running the better part of 15 to 18 hours a day, if I sleep in it in the cold or hot its likely closer to 20 to 22 hours a day so 15w40 should be okay as it has been until now. But I havent owned this truck.through a winter until now so maybe the thinner 5w40 is better when colder. I started it earlier cold, had it plugged in but otherwise was cold. It was missing for the first couple minutes then just started hitting on all 8 and smoothed out. Then within a few minutes of that it like stuttered like it lost all power a split second then continued running but missing again. Acts like some weird electrical issue but I dunno. Will keep at it that's all I can do but have to keep using it in the meantime and that's what worries me, don't want to mess anything else up.
That, my friend is classic FICM issues. Most likely dropping voltage causing your starting issue and could be causing your intermittent miss.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had a HPOP, an IPR, injector o rings, and a new ficm from ed at ficmrepair.com about 30k or 3 months ago. Would hope its not one of those already causing an issue. Will change my fuel filters again as its been about 30k on them. Who knows, if those aren't the issue its going to a shop as soon as I can find some info on a good and honest place to take it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.