2005 No Start Lesson - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 No Start Lesson

Guys,

First I want to thank all the threads for the advice on getting my rig fixed. The problem is that it still won't start. Instead of me going any further, I'm throwing in the towel and having someone with a computer read the vitals to see what is wrong. My 2005 F250 FX4 6.0 Powerstroke was bought back in September. I bought it knowing it ran horribly. Before joining this site, I just figured the one of the injectors were shot based on my big truck repair experience (diesel mechanic for class 8 fleet for 10 years). Since I didn't have a way to diaganose and the truck had 155k miles on it, I figured it was too much money to throw at a new set of injectors based on the super cheap price I paid. Well, I bought injectors off Ebay, and it still wouldn't start. After much research, I did a pressure check and it was below 500 psi. I replaced the standpipes, and did the STC fitting upgrade. Now the system builds plenty of pressure but still won't start. I unplugged the ICP during crank and nothing happens except white puffs of smoke out the exhaust. I unhooked the glow plugs, gave it a squirt of ether and it fired only off the ether. The FICM has 48.5V during crank and all the fuses check OK. I even checked the IDM relay which seems OK. Since I am blind having no scanner, I am towing it over to the local Ford dealership unless someone here in Columbus, Ohio has a scanner they'd be willing to hook up and help me. Anyways, I wanted to keep everyone informed. The number 1 problem I see here is that everyone fixes their truck but doesn't post how they did it. I want to share my stupidity and let everyone learn from my mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to get you a Scangauge II to monitor your trucks vital signs about $160 from autoZone one of the best investments you can make for your truck. Most of the dash gauges are only idiot lites. The oil pressure for example only reads 7 psi.

While not a scanner it gets its readings from the pcm, so it see's what the pcm see's.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Premium Member

Hope all works out let us know what they find.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've said the same thing about alot of post that are never updated. That's why I try to thank others for the updates. You could easily test for fuel pressure and combustion gases in the fuel rails. As stated, you could read ipr% with a scanguage, that may identify further problems with the hpop. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well - here is what I did. I went out and bought a ScangaugeII. (BTW, that is a great tool). I was building around 130lbs. of pressure but not the prescribed 500. Therefore, my compressor test showed no leaks but I in fact had a higher pressure leak. I then decided to pull apart DR side. After removing the rail, I noticed 3 of the 4 injectors had oil resting on top. The one that didn't I checked and found the internals to be shot. I called up the place where I got these injectors on Ebay. (DCP). They were really cool about it but disclosed information I didn't know. The ones I bought for around 180/piece were their 'economy' ones. They upgraded me to the fully rebuilt ones and I replaced all of them. After buttoning the engine up tonight, I checked my pressures. After the second crank, 500 lbs built quick and it fired right up. The lesson learned - BUY OEM INJECTORS. I know you guys preach this but I figured I'd also chime in on it. Anyways, it runs great. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glad you got it fixed, and a monitor. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Glad to hear you got her back on the road! Thanks for the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 no start white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.