air test HPO system.....dead HPOP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
air test HPO system.....dead HPOP

When I pressurize the HPO system at the top of the j-tube with shop air, I get tons of air thru the pump and discharging from the HPOP intake (reservior). Does this mean my HPOP is shot? I got to this point because the truck died one day and will not start. Won't build more than 250 psi (AE monitored). Prior to this it had starting issues where it would fire, run for a second and die. Then after 2-3 times extended cranking it would run (rough). No power until warmed up. Probably multiple issues working here......but I want to at least get it running again so I can sort out the lack of power and rough running (injectors.....stiction.....etc). Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What year truck? How many miles?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry. should have included that. 03 F350. 110k miles. completely stock, no upgrades (yet)
Old 12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Mod Newbie

Pump is junk. Remove that discharge tube from the branch tubes and blow compressed air into branch tubes and listen for leaks. That will tell you if anything else is leaking. Also, probably don't wanna hear this but if your blowing air through the top of the discharge tube and pump and you hear air coming from the oil filter stand pipe, there is a chance that you have damaged or dislodged the oval mesh screen that sits below the oil cooler.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Kinda what I thought. The oil cooler/filter/etc component is already out as well as the screen. I am getting oil and air blasting out of the HPOP intake tube below the oval screen. Quite the mess. Previously I removed the j-tube and put air to the rest of the system to check. Thought I heard a bit of a leak in the left head area, but didn't seem to be from the rail or injectors. Was deeper than that. Pulled the hose to the rail and standpipe to look at o-rings. The standpipe was bent for some odd reason. Replaced that and it seems quiet now or no leaks on that side. Now it's just the HPOP leaking. Thank you for your input and quick response, dhanna6powerstroke. I appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Mod Newbie

No problem. Also, if you're into it that deep you might have a couple other parts you should replace. Inspect the top of that discharge tube for any scratching or scarring. If you see any, inspect the HPOP cover for damage in the same area as the tube sits. If ANY damage is noted, it is suggested to replace the pump cover with an air updated unit. The new one comes with a new IPR valve installed. Also replace the discharge tube regardless of damage or not. I have the part numbers for the parts you need.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did notice a little scarring or rub marks on the tube (below the seal). Didn't look that close at the cover. I've already got a new IPR and ICP sensor with pigtails/wiring because I was that far back and didn't want to have to go back in. Good suggestion on the tube and cover. If you have the numbers handy, please send them my way. Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Mod Newbie

Discharge tube- 3C3Z-9T288-AA
Pump over- 3C3z-9G805-AA ( comes with new IPR installed so take the other back)
You will also need a new IPR wiring harness pigtail because they updated the plug
IPR harness- 6E7Z-12A690-DA
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well before you diagnose a bad pump are you commanding the ipr shut while charging the system with shop air?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Mod Newbie

He's blowing air through the top of the pump now. Has cover and IPR out already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.