Oil in Coolant - wrookie wrencher - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil in Coolant - wrookie wrencher

Merry christmas to me, took my dog to the emergency vet to be put down yesterday after he went down hill quickly overnight. Was rewarded with this on the way home!

I'm dangerous enough with a set of wrenches to have done my own egr delete but am essentially an amateur, that took me about 14 hours.

So my diagnosis is a blown oil cooler, I intend to do the work myself over the next week. I could use some help on what exactly to do and in what order.

For example I've read about people starting to flush prior to replacing the cooler to attempt to get some of the milkshake out first. Do I do that?

Could you folks give me a hand.

Right now all i know is to replace the cooler and flush flush flush flush until the gunk is gone.

did talk to some folks and they recommended to wait until the goo is gone to replace the hoses ect, seemed mostly driven by reducing the mess.

Anything else I should be doing while I'm in there?

Tomorrow I intend to drain the oil and verify there is no coolant present which could indicate some different problems. Maybe do some of the teardown weather permitting but it is supposed to suck bigtime here. With 8" and 37's it wont go in my garage either so it will be a driveway job in the cold.

I intend to replace with an oem cooler, would love to upgrade to bulletproof but with the unknowns ahead of me dont want to spend that $ if I could be needing head gaskets.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil in Coolant - wrookie wrencher-photo-3.jpg   Oil in Coolant - wrookie wrencher-photo-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Sorry to here about your dog.
You most likely wont have coolant in the oil the oil pressure is higher than the pressure in the coolant system
You can use simple green to flush out the oil in the radiator and engine.

Last edited by Paintingman; 12-26-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Truly sorry to hear about your dog. Having to deal with your truck on top of that is a slap in the face.

Things are always a bit dicey when the oil cooler ruptures. If it hadn't ruptured (just clogged), the guidance would be to flush the crap out of it before replacing the oil cooler. However, once the cooler has ruptured, you need to keep more oil from being introduced to the cooling system so your flushes are effective. But flushing AFTER the oil cooler has been replaced increases the chances of clogging the new oil cooler.

I've heard of people in your situation flushing both before and after the oil cooler is replaced with some success. I'm sure someone with more first hand experience will chime in with better guidance.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM

thanks so far guys! appreciate the comments on the pooch too...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 AM

to the top
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sorry to hear about your dog and looks like you've got the milkshake from a blown oil cooler. You'll need to clean out the both the oil and coolant passages. While running, the oil pressure is higher than the coolant pressure, but once the engine is off, the pressures equalize and that can allow the milkshake into the oil passages. Simple Green or other natural degreaser is your friend.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks guys, what is the mix on simple green to distilled? Can I also do a reverse flush once the cooler is replaced?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by charkbait View Post
Thanks guys, what is the mix on simple green to distilled? Can I also do a reverse flush once the cooler is replaced?
Yeah, and would be what I would do. I would run straight simple green to get all the gunk out of there and reverse flush it using the hose. Once it stops sudsing, switch to distilled.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM

did 4 flushes today before ripping into it tomorrow. went from pudding to dirty and sometimes very clean water. fingers crossed, good thing is I had all the top off about 3 years ago for egr delete.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had the same thing happen to mine. had it towed to the dealer. they stated that it was past the point of flushing and had to have an engine replacement. luckily for me it was under warranty, otherwise i would have been looking at about 15k for the engine swap.

the dealer told me that they disassemble the engine and steam clean everything. then, they sell them as remanufactured or as warranty swaps for cases like mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.