6.0L losing boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Exclamation 6.0L losing boost

Ok guys, i got my first real problem with my powerstroke. I installed an EGR delete and everything was working STUNNINGLY well. While i was in the hospital a friend of mine decided to check over my truck cause he is a mechanic, well i took my truck out for a spin tonight and noticed that when i floored it the boost gauge (in dash dumby one) would hit the 30PSI mark (normal) and then it suddenly dropped to 20PSI from there and very rapidly.. this is a problem as i got a friends truck that needs towing the weekend after new years and that'll be a decent load i'll need the power.. anyone got any ideas? boost tube is pretty tight.. i'll take a picture of the new underhood config in the morning to see if any of you see anything :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 PM

and this is consistant? when i say consistant, i mean 10 times or more in a row

if so, i'd say you likely have a leak somewhere. check all CAC tubes. if you have the plastic CAC tube, check under the air cleaner assy. a very common spot for a hole to rub through.
also, check the intercooler seams. especially the hot side, near the CAC tube inlet

Last edited by kaya@bernhausen; 12-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
and this is consistant? when i say consistant, i mean 10 times or more in a row

if so, i'd say you likely have a leak somewhere. check all CAC tubes. if you have the plastic CAC tube, check under the air cleaner assy. a very common spot for a hole to rub through.
also, check the intercooler seams. especially the hot side, near the CAC tube inlet
you think maybe the plastic on the intercooler cracked? coming from the turbo i know the boost tube is very tight and on the side to the intercooler it should be pretty tight, i couldn't tighten it any further.. how do i check intercooler seals?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

You either have a crack in a piece of tube or boot, loose connection, or your MAP sensor is not working correctly. Do you notice a power drop when the PSI drops?

Check your boots with a small mirror. You can also put plastic wrap/tape or paper to help find a leak. However, it is probably better to pull each one off one at a time and do a good inspection. The two mail culprits are the boots on the hot side.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 12-26-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
You either have a crack in a piece of tube or boot, loose connection, or your MAP sensor is not working correctly. Do you notice a power drop when the PSI drops?

Check your boots with a small mirror. You can also put plastic wrap/tape or paper to help find a leak. However, it is probably better to pull each one off one at a time and do a good inspection. The two mail culprits are the boots on the hot side.
upon thorough inspection i noticed my rocket scientist friend either took or broke a bolt on the intake manifold.. but there is a bolt missing where there was not before.. could this be causing me to lose pressure in higher boost situations? I'll check them now
Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM

it is possible. but those manifolds are held on by a lot of bolts. not sure if one would cause a leak. could be though. did the problem occur immediately after the intake was off? matter of fact, what all was done immediately prior to the problem?

could even be a tuning issue as well. have you tried switching back to stock?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
it is possible. but those manifolds are held on by a lot of bolts. not sure if one would cause a leak. could be though. did the problem occur immediately after the intake was off? matter of fact, what all was done immediately prior to the problem?

could even be a tuning issue as well. have you tried switching back to stock?
tuning.. only thing i have is an FICM tune.. other than that i am running stock tune.. i was hoping someone would say that.. my back is killing me and i REALLY didn't wanna take off the damn turbo and everything AGAIN.. and no exactly but idk if he pryed the intake back up again or not while "checking my work" you think the intake gaskets are shot? i still have to check into my hot side boost tube/boots, didn't get a chance today. those should be tight enough.. all are torqued either to or past 60 inch-lbs
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM

ok. just figured since you had an 07 with the egr deleted that you were running a tuner.
the problem isn't how tight the clamps are torqued. the boots aren't blowing off. there's probably a crack in one of the boots. that would hold pressure to 30psi then leak. same goes for a leak at the intercooler seam. all you can do is thoroughly inspect all areas that boost seals. common spots for leaks are the turbo to intercooler pipe coupler, the intercooler seams, a leak here is usually noticed by some of the rubber seal being blown out the seam, between the tank and the heat transfer, also, the black plastic IC pipe on the cold side. sometimes a hole will rub through under the air cleaner assy. also, make sure the pipe is pulled all the way forward against the ridge on the IC outlet on the cold side. as mentioned, pull both boots of and inspect them. squeeze them to find any cracks that may not be noticed otherwise. also, check you map hose

beyond visually inspecting, you'd need to pressurize the system to find it. and that will require testing equipment
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
ok. just figured since you had an 07 with the egr deleted that you were running a tuner.
the problem isn't how tight the clamps are torqued. the boots aren't blowing off. there's probably a crack in one of the boots. that would hold pressure to 30psi then leak. same goes for a leak at the intercooler seam. all you can do is thoroughly inspect all areas that boost seals. common spots for leaks are the turbo to intercooler pipe coupler, the intercooler seams, a leak here is usually noticed by some of the rubber seal being blown out the seam, between the tank and the heat transfer, also, the black plastic IC pipe on the cold side. sometimes a hole will rub through under the air cleaner assy. also, make sure the pipe is pulled all the way forward against the ridge on the IC outlet on the cold side. as mentioned, pull both boots of and inspect them. squeeze them to find any cracks that may not be noticed otherwise. also, check you map hose

beyond visually inspecting, you'd need to pressurize the system to find it. and that will require testing equipment
I took the hot side boost rube off with the boots and i found this:

My Solution:

I'll test soon to see if it worked and if that was the problem.. I'm REALLY thinking it was so.. fingers crossed!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Don't feel too bad about having a hard time finding that one, I had one go under the wires at the other end. On my 07 I will probably be replacing the same boot as you soon. It hasn't let go yet, but it is starting to look a bit rough.

Too bad about the intake bolt. As long as the gasket is in place you might be OK. Only time will tell. Don't over torque those bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.