Friends 6.0 cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Friends 6.0 cold start

Im sure there are several threads similar to this one, but every thread is unique. I have a friend that owns a 2004 Powerstroke, nothing done to it, except it has had its oil cooler replaced i believe. I have never torn apart an engine, but I am very mechanical and have been waiting to get into my first engine. okay so to the problem...

In the mornings, around 20 degrees, the engine has a hard time starting. I am basically wondering a few things.

1. Will my edge CTS monitor read accurately on the FICM volts, or should i test it with a probe for a more accurate reading?

2. He believes he has a bad injector, if not many. Can i test the injectors on my edge? my duramax lets me see the balance codes, but the ford didnt have the option to view them. is there a PID i should look at?

3. I previously plugged in my edge to check for codes. There was no check engine light, but me being curious checked them anyway. Several codes came back. I was an idiot and looked at them, but then reset them without taking notes. I remember that a few of them said injector voltage low, ect. or something similar. After starting the warm engine again, there was no more codes that came up.

4. What is a rough price to bullet proof his engine, which includes at least, ARP studs, Headgasket, EGR block, and Oil Cooler.

5. I understand all 6.0's have a block heater, but not all of them have the cord. Is the cord universal? Where can i purchase one? Where would the cord be if he had one? I checked near the passenger tow hookup, but didn't see anything. Would the block heater help it start in the cold, even with a bad FICm?

Thanks, Caden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It sounds like either low FICM voltage (min is 45V and 48V is ideal) or injector stiction (due to oil gumming up the spool valve). Using a block heater would help in both situations since the oil would already be up to temperature. Your Edge should definitely be able to read the FICM voltage, but your current codes sound like you have a FICM issue. Best of luck and let us know.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

a few more questions...
1. What would you recommend for the fastest repair possible at a reasonable price?
2. Would you recommend tuning for the truck? its bone stock, or would it do more damage than good? could tuning it harm the motor because its not bulletproofed yet?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also what type of Oil is the best for these conditions? He lives in Ogden, Utah. His truck has almost 60k Miles
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Kid View Post
Also what type of Oil is the best for these conditions? He lives in Ogden, Utah. His truck has almost 60k Miles
Rotella T6 synthetis 5W/40 is a good one,Delo has a 5W/40 too it's Dello 400LE also synthetic. Both are good cold start oils Rotella is available at WalMart in the gallon jugs for a reallly good price.
The one difference I see with my truck is: the Delo 400LE has less soot out of the tail pipe, the Rotella leaves soot on my back fender where the Delo does not. I think it has less injector noise too for whatever reason, regardless both oils are good for the 6.0.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

He doesn't know what oil is in it now. He said whatever oil they out in it at the dealership

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
They put in 15w40 at the dealership. The quickest and easiest fix is to check the ficm voltage and if that is fine change the sticks.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

low voltage injector codes are USUALLY an indication of ficm failure. assuming that the battery voltage is adequate. as mentioned, start by checking ficm voltage both KOEO and cranking.
once running, how does it run immediately after?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's choppy and then catches itself, sometimes stalls. But it enters high idle and it's fine after that. Smokes a bit of white smoke.

These were taken while the truck was runningFriends 6.0 cold start-imageuploadedbyautoguide1356487791.243353.jpgFriends 6.0 cold start-imageuploadedbyautoguide1356487907.934591.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That reading on the CTS isn't the one you need when testing. You need to let the truck get cold and then check the voltage with a volt/ohm meter at the FICM. I'm gonna say it's dropping into the low 40's if not 30's considering what the truck is doing on start up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
block heater, cold start, rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.