Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Friends 6.0 cold start

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Jet1 
#1 ·
Im sure there are several threads similar to this one, but every thread is unique. I have a friend that owns a 2004 Powerstroke, nothing done to it, except it has had its oil cooler replaced i believe. I have never torn apart an engine, but I am very mechanical and have been waiting to get into my first engine. okay so to the problem...

In the mornings, around 20 degrees, the engine has a hard time starting. I am basically wondering a few things.

1. Will my edge CTS monitor read accurately on the FICM volts, or should i test it with a probe for a more accurate reading?

2. He believes he has a bad injector, if not many. Can i test the injectors on my edge? my duramax lets me see the balance codes, but the ford didnt have the option to view them. is there a PID i should look at?

3. I previously plugged in my edge to check for codes. There was no check engine light, but me being curious checked them anyway. Several codes came back. I was an idiot and looked at them, but then reset them without taking notes. I remember that a few of them said injector voltage low, ect. or something similar. After starting the warm engine again, there was no more codes that came up.

4. What is a rough price to bullet proof his engine, which includes at least, ARP studs, Headgasket, EGR block, and Oil Cooler.

5. I understand all 6.0's have a block heater, but not all of them have the cord. Is the cord universal? Where can i purchase one? Where would the cord be if he had one? I checked near the passenger tow hookup, but didn't see anything. Would the block heater help it start in the cold, even with a bad FICm?

Thanks, Caden

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like either low FICM voltage (min is 45V and 48V is ideal) or injector stiction (due to oil gumming up the spool valve). Using a block heater would help in both situations since the oil would already be up to temperature. Your Edge should definitely be able to read the FICM voltage, but your current codes sound like you have a FICM issue. Best of luck and let us know.

#3 ·
a few more questions...
1. What would you recommend for the fastest repair possible at a reasonable price?
2. Would you recommend tuning for the truck? its bone stock, or would it do more damage than good? could tuning it harm the motor because its not bulletproofed yet?

#4 ·
Also what type of Oil is the best for these conditions? He lives in Ogden, Utah. His truck has almost 60k Miles

#5 ·
Rotella T6 synthetis 5W/40 is a good one,Delo has a 5W/40 too it's Dello 400LE also synthetic. Both are good cold start oils Rotella is available at WalMart in the gallon jugs for a reallly good price.
The one difference I see with my truck is: the Delo 400LE has less soot out of the tail pipe, the Rotella leaves soot on my back fender where the Delo does not. I think it has less injector noise too for whatever reason, regardless both oils are good for the 6.0.

#6 ·
He doesn't know what oil is in it now. He said whatever oil they out in it at the dealership

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
low voltage injector codes are USUALLY an indication of ficm failure. assuming that the battery voltage is adequate. as mentioned, start by checking ficm voltage both KOEO and cranking.
once running, how does it run immediately after?

#9 ·
It's choppy and then catches itself, sometimes stalls. But it enters high idle and it's fine after that. Smokes a bit of white smoke.

These were taken while the truck was running Speedometer Gauge Auto part Odometer Display device
Speedometer Odometer Auto part Gauge Vehicle

#11 ·
Yea I realized that after I researched the FICM more...

He took it into a shop to have them deal with it. I am 80% sure it was the FICM

#12 ·
if it smokes and its really choppy then its def FICM, atleast the way you describe it

#13 ·
Update, his dealer told him the FICM was bad, so he gave the okay to have them install a new one. The dealer also quoted him $190.00 for a block heater cord and the installation. How much is a cord if he doesn't buy one through the dealership? And are they hard to install?

#15 ·
while you can find a universal unit that will plug into the heater element, the oe one has a molded plastic casing that comes off the side of the oil pan and along the frame and out the front bumper. the oe one's a bit of a nuisance to install. not terrible though. i believe universal block heater cords will come in either a 2 pin or 3 pin. the 6.0l is a 2 pin. it plugs in just above the starter. just make sure to buy one with ample length. not hard to install a uni. just use zip ties.
but 190$ installed is pretty fair for oe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.