Paranoid of my 6.0l - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paranoid of my 6.0l

Looking for opinions....I have a 05 cc, with 150,000 miles. I purchased the truck new and have only had the following mishaps...injector went out after first purchased, then couple yrs later the High pressure oil pump, then the FICM about a little over a year later. All in a 7yr span.I have had signs of things acting up between these mishaps and would take it to the dealer for repairs, they would most likely not find much of anything. I have even went to other dealers and get the same answer. I NEVER have gotten any "Check Engine Lights" or the "Wrench", to alert me of any troubles. I keep my oil and filters changed mo frequently than my local "Mcddonalds". ....With that being said, I drive this truck everyday for work. I only use to tow (ocasionally) a fifthwheel that weights aroung 14-16,000lbs. Is there a Gas burner that would haul this type weight? Should I keep this truck and hope it doesnt leave me stranded like it has twice? Is this a sign to get rid of it before it cost more than I could afford?and how is trade in values on Fords in this shape?....Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't keep it and "hope." I'd keep it and monitor vitals and do all of the proper maintenance, which is more than oil/fuel.
And I bet a V10 Ford or something would pull that trailer, but you wouldn't be happy at all with it.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fortunately you have come to the right place for reassurance.......first every 6.0 owner should have a monitor......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
After you get a monitor you can post your various numbers to find out the health of your truck. Unfortunately there are some inherent problems with the 6.0 that once address, one can enjoy their truck without worry. Read the stickies and come back with questions, we'll be happy to clear up. Getting a monitor and installing a coolant filter is first and foremost, the best thing you can do. I installed the xdp bypass filter, and have the edge cts monitor. Welcome to the org.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Manchild

I would say you have a 7yo truck with 150K mi on it. If you think about it, she’s only let you twice; that’s a pretty good record. If you have done all the things mentioned in the bulletproofing thread you have about 20K more until she starts nickel and dimming you. A new truck can leave you on the side of the road too, it just costs more each month. Get you a tool kit, some parts and know how, and keep your truck. Its an adventure!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

The bad ficm was more than likely caused from your batteries needing replacement, my guess is you replaced them around the same time you had ficm work done ?

I am with southend, get gauges on the truck and see how the oil cooler and icp/ipr #s are doing to get a good picture of the engines health. Proper maintenance is key and you can get many more years out of the truck yet.

One thing you may consider doing would be some preventative work on it now to eliminate the possibility of future repairs. For probably around $3000.00 you can give yourself peice of mind and eliminate the things that can go wrong with it.
The truck should have some attention too by replacing fluids on: axles,transfer case, transmission, p/s pump, brake system, maybe $700.00.

If you were to put on a new oil cooler and B/P egr cooler update to the stainless hpop screen, standpipes, dummy plugs,stc fitting and replace injector o-rings you would be in good shape the way I am looking at it.

So a $3700.00 investment into a truck that would cost $60,000 to replace seems like a easy decision to me. Your oil cooler may be fine I don't know you can figure that out once you put gauges on it. But those other items are what can cause you problems and they can all be dealt with now so you know they won't be a problem in the future.
Myself I would keep it, not having a big truck payment is like getting money from heaven.

Last edited by mhatlen; 12-24-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yup I am with these fellas! I have 170,000 miles on mine and has not given me a lick of trouble- due to the fact i am on top of maintenance and have done all the updates/ repairs to ensure a good healthy motor. I will always have my truck unless i wreck it of course, and when the motor goes in it? I will replace it! Again much cheaper to replace the motor then to replace with a new truck, especially if your truck looks as good as new.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Thanks you guys....maybe I am just a little fustrated with the truck. It has been a great truck and I would hate to get rid of it, due to all the other changes I would have to make. I have thought of getting the Edge insight CTS about a year or so ago and put it off. I do not have any type monitors or gauges to help monitor my truck, I have been driving blind the past 7yrs...lol...I have looked around for the best price on the CTS and found one for 330.00 from midwest auto on amazon.com....thanks for the reassurance and help me change my mind. As, this is my "First" diesel that I have owned.

.....thanks, and Merry Christmas.

I will post back in a week or so with results when I get my CTS installed in truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.