White smoke then hydrolocked HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke then hydrolocked HELP

First off I'm new to the diesels. I have an 05 6.0 with 114k. Motor is pretty much stock besides AEM cold air and has a superchips programmer and straight pipe that's it performance wise. My truck is lifted on 37s it ran great very strong it would smoke the 37s no problem even when I didn't try to. Now here is my problem I started losing coolant slowly so I just kept it topped off then started blowing a puff of white smoke only when I started it up. So I started researching and from all the forums I came to the conclusion of egr cooler. So I pulled the egr it was a little damp but not bad so I cleaned it and the truck was fine for two days then went to start it and move it across the yard and it turned over for about 4 seconds and stopped. I researched again and found it was hydrolocked. Pulled the egr valve again and the intake was full of coolant. Yesterday I pulled all the glow plugs and turned it over to blow the coolant out. So now I'm going to order an egr delete but I am wondering if I need to do anything else after I install it or just put it on and drive like I said I'm new to the diesel but can't find anyone on here with my same story so if there is anything else I need jus please let me know because I want to do it right so I don't have to worry about egr problems again. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
thas cause we know better! but thats alright we aren't born with knowledge, you live you learn and i would get your heads checked (pressure leak tested, decked) and get ARP head studs and a coolant filter, and switch to a phosphate/silicate free coolant like CAT EC-1
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So what about the egr delete do I just put it on and I'm good to go or do I have to retune it
Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mward128 View Post
So what about the egr delete do I just put it on and I'm good to go or do I have to retune it
While your in there put a new stc fitting on the oil pump, old one will break at some point ,the new stc updated fitting .
JER-1
Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 PM

alright, my friend. your problem is not a rare occurrence to say the least.
here's what you want to do to make your 6.0l a little more reliable in a time and cost effective manner:
-egr delete
-stc solid one piece fitting
-updated stand pipes and rail plugs
-updated oil cooler kit
-sct x3 tuner (optional. but trust me. it will make the most out of that delete)

aside from the stand pipes and rail plugs (an absolute must, unless you enjoy being stranded), the rest of those items are mostly overlap, since the intake needs to come off to get to them, and you'll have the intake off to install the egr delete anyways.

also, as mentioned, coolant flush with cat ec1 replacing the gold stuff. a coolant filtration kit would also be a great idea at this time to keep that new oil cooler in good shape.

that should just about cover it. it sounds like a lot, but you'll be thankful you did it now while you were already in there. these parts fail. it's just a matter of time
Old 12-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After that I'm good 2 go?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:25 AM

hahaha. nothing is guaranteed, my friend. i'll say this; you'll be as close as you can be to saving yourself from blowing your headgaskets.

if it were my truck, i would do what i'd listed and be pretty comfortable with that.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:30 PM

X2 on oil cooler when your in there!!! Its a little more work and money but way worth it for peace of mind. I dont do EGR deletes with out an oil cooler rebuild.

Your 05 will throw a code with the egr deleted. Not sure if the superchips will block it like the SCT. But my 06 just has the check engine light on with egr deleted and no tunes. does not limp mode. Just the annoying light all the time.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 AM

welcome to the org. good luck on the 6.0
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel View Post
X2 on oil cooler when your in there!!! Its a little more work and money but way worth it for peace of mind. I dont do EGR deletes with out an oil cooler rebuild.

Your 05 will throw a code with the egr deleted. Not sure if the superchips will block it like the SCT. But my 06 just has the check engine light on with egr deleted and no tunes. does not limp mode. Just the annoying light all the time.
i believe only 06+ will turn the light on. he'll get a soft fault for egr insuff. flow, but no light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr, egr delete, white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.