Ran Out of Fuel, Now No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Long Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ran Out of Fuel, Now No Start

I ran out of fuel yesterday, I assune. Gauge says 1/2 tank but it is suspect. I drove around most of day and it didnt move much at all. Long story short... she spuddered and died at 65mph on highway. I put fuel, cycled key a dozen or so times, and she started up. Idled fine for a few minutes but when merging back on the freeway it did the same thing. I took cap off secondary filter, cycled key to fill the bowl. she wants to start, struggles and struggles as if starving for fuel. She catches sometimes but i havent been able to get a smooth idle. I've blead air from top of filter bowl, and from the supply line to the passenger side of the head. Still no luck.

Any ideas? Is there more places I should bleed air? Maybe another problem?

Thanks
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To do yourself any good you need to pull codes and see what your FICM vlts are, 45 min your ICP Min 500psi, IPR and actual Fuel pess. FP will need an adapter 12mmXnpt, a hose and gauge 75psi to fit. Min45psi. AutoZone carries a cheap one but be shure it reads live data. Not much of a scan tool but can do in a pinch for now. $65 to $150

Now locally the AZ here will give ya use of their scanner thru their loaner tool program but I do not think it is a store wide policy but ya can as em. You put up a deposit equal to the price. They will read it for free if it's driveable. I just won't guarontee they will know what they are seeing.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Make sure the tank if FULL first.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Can you hear the pump cycling?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Long Member

OK got it running this morning. Just went out and cycled key and it fired right up. I changed fuel filters to be on safe side. They had anout 3K on them. Went to the pump to fill up. It only took 8gal. So I gots me a new project! It must be some kind of electro mumbo jumbo that cuts fuel acting up. She had the classic symptoms of starvation. I got over 170K so its time for things to break. I put new fuel pump a few months ago, and its running strong.

Any help on senders which cut fuel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.