05 6.0 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 05 6.0 no start

Well guys....I'm back with another question unfortunately. My Feb of 05 build date 6.0 decided the other night that it didnt want me to sleep in my own bed i suppose, and stranded me in another town in freezing weather haha no fun at all. It cranks over perfectly fine just wont fire off, and what confuses me is that it was running perfect while i was driving and then i shut it off in a parking lot and when i went to start it back up it just cranks over. The last time that it did start it fired off kind of odd sounding, but after that it idled and drove fine with full power. I crawled underneath and did notice oil had run down from the top of the engine but i could not tell exactly where from, and when looking from the top i can see oil all in the valley between the heads and all around the oil cooler. Also, a couple months ago i was having hot start issues randomly but it would always start on my third attempt. Any suggestions on what could cause it to start odd and run fine and then not start the next time i tried? I'm suspecting (and hoping and praying ) its just the STC fitting which i have yet to upgrade, but i figure I'll ask yall before i go to spending money on parts. Thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

You need to get some gauges/diagnostic tools on it! Expect to pull off the covers while troubleshooting. From your description it sounds more like a HPOP. If you have a leak from the front oil cover, that might be contributory; but the oil loss/level would be very noticeable.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like failed stc fitting cracked the hpop cover. You need a monitor.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since HPOil leaks seldom show external oil leakage and you have oil in the valley I would suspect the gasket between the filter and the oil cooler or a crack in the filter houseing or cap gasket.

An extenal HP oil leak would be at the back of the motor [HPOP cover; iPR; or the STC fitting blew off and cracked the back cover] every thing else is under the valve covers or in the engine.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:59 AM

what type of scan tool could i get to moniter things? i tried pulling codes with my SCT and didnt get anything. im really hoping its just a STC fitting and not the whole HPOP
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Monitoring.......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

The scanguage II is a good tool for diagnosing, it seems a bit lacking in the code reading dept. though. Autozone has them for $160. I have a edge cts. $320+

Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Alright thats what i was thinking was one from auto zone, I'll pick one up before i start tearing into the truck again
Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Need a reading on icp pressure, and ipr%.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

judging by the location, the oil leak is probably just the sending unit. or you have a slight tear/crack in your turbo to intercooler boot. it's probably not contributing to the no start.
usually you'd hear a loud bang, proceeded by a no start if the stc fitting blew off and cracked the rear cover.

your problem may have nothing to do with the hpo system. there are some limited preliminary checks you can run without a scan tool.
when you crank, does the oil pressure gauge rise? (although since you may have a leak at the sender, this may not be accurate)
KOEO, do you hear the HFCM at the drivers side frame rail turn on briefly?
when cranking, is there any smoke out the tailpipe?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:09 PM

yes when cranking the oil pressure gauge does rise, and i do hear the HFCM for a short while when key is on, and there is no smoke out the tailpipe that i noticed. as far as the oil i am thinking it is coming from the filter housing but i have not torn into it to see for sure. when looking from under the truck there is oil running down the passenger side on the back of the engine, but as you said i think it has nothing to do with the no start issue. And Southend, how would i get a reading on those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.