2005 6.0... smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0... smoke

Once the weather has cooled off. I have now notice unburned fuel exhuast when I start off from a light. I do not have a heavy foot and I do keep up with filter changes. What may cause this?
I have noticed a hard to start when it is cold out. Starts at the second try...(most of the time)

2005 6.0
Cold air intake
4in turbo back exhaust
Daily Driver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

start by checking for codes.
it could be a ficm on the way out, or injector(s). need to monitor ficm voltage koeo, and while cranking. should not drop below 46v
how does it run cold once it does fire up? while cranking, and immediately after firing, you have clouds of white out the tailpipe?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

2005 6.0... smoke

Once it starts, runs just fine, no white smoke, no weird noises and starting again once warm, it starts just fine. Where do I check the voltage at? Last night I cleaned and reoiled the air filter and changed both fuel filters. I put an avg. of 85+ miles a day on this truck a week. I work 4-10 hour days and it's all highway.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor. Load test your batteries, perform the ficm check procedure. (google)

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 AM

smoke

I am having the same issue. At first I thought that it was just because of the cold weather, but it seemed to be worse than it should be. And smoking when taking off from a stop when the engine is warm really caught my attention. I started my pickup yesterday for the first time in 2 weeks, and there was a huge cloud of smoke for about 10 minutes, then it just went away. At first I thought maybe the engine turned off, but it was still running.

I have an Edge insight hooked up and I know my FICM is getting weak because it drops down to 46 under load, and on cold starts it will go down to 36. When the pickup is plugged in, the FICM doesn't seem to drop down that low. I still plan on getting that replaced ASAP. On cold starts, the edge also showed me that there was a cylinder 2 contribution code, didn't set off the check engine or anything, but a soft code. That code always goes away after the engine is warm, and is very rarely present when FICM is showing full voltage.

I asked this very same question on another post yesterday after seeing the huge cloud of smoke, and the best answer I have got is an Injector problem, and that using motorcraft oil, changing every 3-4K, helped prolong injector life. I have been going 5000, but was up to 7000 on my last change. I run Rev-X which is supposed to extend the time between changes, but I still stick to 5000 when I can. I always use motorcraft filters. The fuel filter only has 10k on it, but looking at changing that next oil change. I have heard that water in the system could also do it, so going to try to drain the water separator today.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^for starters, your ficm needs to be reaired/replaced.
but i don't think that's where the smoke is coming from. what does the smoke smell like? fuel? or coolant? are you losing coolant?
if so, it sounds like your egr cooler is blown. you can pull the egr valve out and have a look inside the intake passage. if there is any coolant/moisture in there, it's an indication of a leaking cooler. usually white smoke that hangs around for 10 minutes, without the vehicle running extremely poor, is going to be due to pooled coolant burning off. and the number 1 cause will be a blown cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.