Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stupid truck; what now?

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  jimmie67 
#1 ·
So I just changed my oil, I go to turn on my ignition and the little air pump that sits over top the front right wheel in the engine compartment cycles on and doesn't turn off. I start the truck, run it around the hood, still running i turn it off check oil levels and then turn the ignition on again an that stupid little pump cycles on and will not shut off unless I un-plug it.
So what is this pump, what does it do, who wants to buy a truck....:mad::mad: I don't think it is my vacuum pump for my 4x4, i traced those lines back to another housing next to this pump????

#2 ·
It's the vacuum pump for your 4x4 and for your heater control valve. If it isn't turning off than you have a leak somewhere. Possibly the vacuum tank is cracked and leaking or the lines going to the 4x4 or the line is hanging off of the heater control valve.

#3 ·
Well a few years ago I disconnected the pump from the 4x4 and plugged it. Need new hub seals and vacuum line....

Interesting fact, two weeks ago I found some coolant under my truck. Not a significant loss and I have not been able to identify or recreate the leak. Think the two may be related.

This lead me to the oil change... no coolant in oil.

#4 ·
No, in no way can they be related. Look at your thermostat housing it's probably leaking

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
Coolant loss, small amount but unidentified. Check all your connection points; sometimes they will leak under pressure. Of course, also check for minor puking.

#7 ·
But disconnecting the hubs from the vacuum system in no way affects the HCV.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
I'm sure its the heater valve.. there is no way this truck is puking.

#13 ·
Thanks Bryan.... can the cooler be changed out or the egr block-off kit be installed without removing the intake?? I am a very adept mechanic but I never have worked on or owned a diesel until I got this truck..... "Money-Pit" is her name but hopefully once everything is fixed it will be a good truck ??~!! LMAO!!

#18 ·
remove the valve first, just to confirm. only takes a couple minutes. if you see coolant in the intake plenum/on the valve, it's a done deal

#19 ·
Cool man,,, thank you for the advice,,, I did it and could not see coolant but I did find a leak from the cooler (I believe??) at the back of the intake on the cooler side there is a tube with an o-ring and there is coolant pushing out around the o-ring.... gonna take it apart tomorrow and see whats up,,,,, thanks again for the help guys!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.