Low fuel psi WOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel psi WOT

2003, 104K, Blue spring (Feb 2012), SRL tune, ~4000 on fuel filters, cruise at 60~64 psi on Auto Meter Sport Comp gauge.

I was rolling into the throttle and noticed a little gauge flutter (mid 50s), then it FELL to 40 psi! Immediately lifted.

On the way home I thought that I would try again, 3/4 throttle, doing good, repeat. Screw this! Standing start, WFO, let's see where it goes. At the top of 5th there was a little flutter. Into 6th it dropped like a turd in a septic tank! Pulled normal, sounded ok, but it fell to damn near 20 psi this time.

Now I SERIOUSLY think it's related, but up until 2 weeks ago the fuel psi was pretty steady, drop into the mid 50s on the loud pedal, then I did some RevX. All of the usual good things happened, but I also noticed fluttering of the gauge sitting in the driveway during spool down.

I'm thinking that the Gillette spring may have to go back in. This is the first time I have ever seen this.

Last edited by Karls03; 12-20-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can try replacing the spring, but if that fails you, you're gonna want to measure vacuum between the tank and the pump. anywhere above about 5"/hg indicates a restriction.
if that checks out fine, i'd say replace the hfcm
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, that's a good idea.

The weird part is that had I not looked down at the gauge, I wouldn't have known there was an issue. You would think that that radical of a pressure drop would be accompanied with a performance issue. Where's the low pressure oil read from? That could be used to verify the gauge isn't bonkers if the spring swap does nothing.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck does the exact same thing. No loss of performance but man that pressure drops quick. I've basically stopped burying the loud pedal. I go until the psi get to 50 and then hold that. I thought about replacing the pump this next summer but we'll see.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the input. it's nice to know that I'm not the only one. I'd really rather wait till it's not so dang cold outside to do this, too.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 AM

In the regulator, if you have the black "adapter" for lack of better word that the brass cup goes into make sure you have the seal on the end of it. It barely fits on it and if you pull the adapter out I think it typically falls off. I changed to the blue spring and did not know there was a seal there and the exact same thing happened you are describing. I fought it for weeks and even bought a new pump until I figured it out.

If by chance your pump is bad I do have a new pump motor I bought while troubleshooting I will sell for $165 shipped.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgernon View Post
In the regulator, if you have the black "adapter" for lack of better word that the brass cup goes into make sure you have the seal on the end of it. It barely fits on it and if you pull the adapter out I think it typically falls off. I changed to the blue spring and did not know there was a seal there and the exact same thing happened you are describing. I fought it for weeks and even bought a new pump until I figured it out.

If by chance your pump is bad I do have a new pump motor I bought while troubleshooting I will sell for $165 shipped.
How long did it it take for the psi to go bat crap crazy? This spring has been in since Feb '12. I had the Gillette spring in for about 2 years and never saw this.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 AM

I didn't see the time for the spring mod. Mine acted up right away.

If I were you I would still pull it apart and confirm the seals are all properly in place. If they are I would also do a bubble test on the upper fuel canister to see if compression is getting in the system. You should also check for any debris in the fuel conditioning unit. If you see junk I would pull it apart and clean it out. If that all checks out I would then do a pressure test on the pump itself. I've never done this but am told they should put out ~100psi. If this is low you could check your tank for additional debris. If the pressure is low and everything is clean I would say the pump is not moving the volume and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM

ahhh i just went through this on my truck! same issue, runs like a bad outta helkl but drops to 0-20 psi... well... replaced the pump($278.50 at tousely for the whole hfcm assembly).. replaced it and bam! truck idles at 72 psi and doesnt drop below 62 psi WOT... i have the srl tune as well... I CAN tell a difference in performance to.. Top end the truck keeps pulling where before you would feel it start to surge a little... replace your pump. Its cheap enough for good insurance anyways.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cr450 View Post
ahhh i just went through this on my truck! same issue, runs like a bad outta helkl but drops to 0-20 psi... well... replaced the pump($278.50 at tousely for the whole hfcm assembly).. replaced it and bam! truck idles at 72 psi and doesnt drop below 62 psi WOT... i have the srl tune as well... I CAN tell a difference in performance to.. Top end the truck keeps pulling where before you would feel it start to surge a little... replace your pump. Its cheap enough for good insurance anyways.
Does the separator come with this? I can't get any pics from Tousley's.

Where do you get the tool to remove the lines?

Last edited by Karls03; 12-21-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.