Starting oil cooler repair tomorrow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting oil cooler repair tomorrow

Hi,i just brought a 04 f250, the oil cooler is clogged i have monitored temps, i think i has now starting to leak oil in to coolant,my egr cooler not in the truck

Me and my dad are going to be doing the repairs
i plan on picking up the parts i need from the dealer at 7:30, i hope they have the parts

I know i need
Oil cooler
Intake manifold gasket
Turbo bolts and o ring kit

I will start by draining all fluid
coolant first,should i flush the cooling system now as well
then oil,or is this not required

then i will begin my tear down,

is there a step by step process to follow

i will be workin non stop on this project until complete
what is the time fame it takes

i will post my progress as i go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

If you don't already have studs done and funds allow, I would HIGHLY recommend you do them while you're in there. You're basically all the way there and with all the help and threads here you should be able to figure it out.

See This thread : 6.0 Head Stud Part List.

There are several updated parts, since you have an 04 you do not need an STC fitting.

If this is the first time you've torn down? If so I would recommend the following ( assuming you don't decide to do studs/gaskets)
Glowplug harnesses, updated turbo drain/feed line, thermostat, egr delete, banjo bolts, and new filters.

Also DO A COOLANT FLUSH and get a coolant filter and get that crap out of there that's clogging your oil cooler.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM

X2 on the coolant filter. Intake gaskets are reusable. Dont want to flush after and get all the leftovers in your new cooler!!!! Depending on how handy you are with a wrench 6-10 hours. Cab on Motor in.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM

i plan on coolant filter at later time, egr alredy deleted freeze plug in exhaust port and cooler gone, i plan on to do filter change and thermostat, im do have decent mechanical ability's as well as my dad who will be helping as well, i plan to do this in a day, is there a tool list and a parts list i need
i will do studs soon if have no problem with the tear down, and will probally built it up at some point, this is the first big project im doing on a 6.0l

thank you for the advice
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

I'd plan on two days primarily because you've never been in there. Be REAL careful when you remove the fuel lines from the filter housing, they're not hard to barber pole. It's a pretty involved procedure.

Honestly, I don't think that you're not half way to having the heads off just because you have the turbo and intake out. However, I would have to agree that it's a big roll of the dice to change the oil cooler THEN flush.

There will be a pool of oil when you remove the cover for the oil cooler, a paper cup works fine to scoop it out. Make sure you change the screen in the bottom of that cavity and that it seats properly. Draining the radiator will suffice on the coolant side.

About the only other advice that I have is to look for videos about oil cooler changes on You Tube. Senior Master Mechanic has some really good ones, straight to the point.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Highly recommend doing a coolant flush BEFORE your begin your work. If you don't, there's a very good chance the oil cooler will clog again in the very near future.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

I agree with Karl03... doing oil cooler is no where near being half way towards a stud job. Shade tree mechanics can generally do their oil cooler in a day with a little help. Although possible to do with the cab on, doing the studs generally means taking off or lifting the cab and there's an exponential amount of more work to do the studs.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:01 AM

Thank you for the head up, i figured i do the flush befor i remove anything, any good tips or techniques on flushing, heard something about distilled water, do i drain all the oil. out of the truck

Well is 7:30 and my progress begins,
picked up some coffee gotta get the coffee

Waiting for my dad to call in the parts at the dealer

correct me on anything im wrong on or something i need to add

i will need the following,

Oil cooler and oil cooler gaskets and o-rings
Intake manifold gasket
Turbo, bolts and o-ring kit
Any other parts needed

My plan is

Flush cooling system
Then if oil will not need to be drained i will start the break down process
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 AM
Premium Member

Read these...
Flushing and Cleaning the 6.0

Just changed coolant to ELC... a few notes for everyone
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 AM

thank you, im going to do everything buy the vc-9 and restore, its sucks but i dont have the product and there no way for me to run it for that long of a time, as oil is mixin with coolant, i will be removing the thremostat and both sides of block drain, gonna have to remove that starter.

I have picked up the parts

oil cooler and such, intake manifold gasket,updated oil drain tube thank you for that suggestion Korx, and a thermostat, the turbo bolt kit will be in at 10:30
Attached Thumbnails
Starting oil cooler repair tomorrow-imag0863.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.