Late 04 truck early 03 engine swap issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Late 04 truck early 03 engine swap issue

So a few questions on an 2003 engine into a late 2004 truck.

Problem. No start now. White smoke when cranking. Un burnt fuel smoke. Not coolant. Some stumbles but no start.

Obviously there are a few differences. Eg. ICP location. Wiring was successfully redone to the rear location on the 03.

Im using all the 03 sensors and parts as the engine was complete, and all the sensors and parts on the engine are brand new ford parts. With the stock 04 wiring. Is there any difference in some of the sensors??? Crank? Cam? they all plugged in the same.

I have oil pressure. And obviously fuel. And ive never had a truck this hard to start after a rebuild.

Im sure some of you guys have run across this before.

Oh and New FICM from Ford Alternator and batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i know 03 injectors are different. not sure if it would cause it to not run though. when you say you have oil pressure, you mean high side pressure?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

I believe that re-Manufactured injectors from 03-07 are the same, 03s have a different oiling system for the high pressure oil in the injectors.

I just got done reading that there are cavities in these motors that don't normally drain during an oil change. Have you checked your oil level? The author of this claimed 18 quarts to get his 6.0 primed to fire. That's 2~3 quarts more than an oil change.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 AM

some reman injectors are 03-07. but from the factory, 03 are different. i've always been under the assumption that you can run late injectors in an early engine, so long as they are all replaced. but cannot run early injectors in a late truck. haven't really looked into exactly what is different about them, but i will see what i can find. if even just out of curiosity
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM

The engine was a Ford Canada Reman and came complete. Sensors/Injectors just no turbo or FICM.

I didnt think the injectors would cause an issue as they are 03 and the engine is an 03 with the early style HPOP and system. Hence moving the ICP wiring. From the pass VC 04 style

My thought was maybe some of the sensors were different causing the 04 computer to read incorrectly

Im fairly certain i have high pressure oil although i do not have a scan tool that allows me to verify. How can i be 100% certain with out a scan tool?

Yep she is full of oil. 18L
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM

sorry. my mistake. apparently you can use 03 injectors in a late vehicle. my thoughts were that it might have had something to do with the late ficm and/or pcm being used in conjunction with the early injectors. but never mind that.
you will need a scan tool capable of reading live data to check the icp while cranking.
you can however check the voltage reading at the icp while cranking, using a multimeter. i'm not sure what the should read cranking. i usually just read pressure. probably somewhere around 1.8v..maybe. i'm sure people here have measured through voltage and can chime in though.
all the sensors should be the same.
check your codes. first and foremost
Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 PM

Got the truck fired. It wasnt cranking as fast as I thought it should. A new starter took care of that. a few other things tidied up along the way. But new starter. Fast crank it flashed runs mint.

Starter was probably tired from the alternator and FICM diagnosis Pre me. And 184k

Anyway. This got me thinking what is everyone doing for break in these days. On their new engines.

Lets here your break in procedures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.