6.0 cutting out & auto accelerate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 cutting out & auto accelerate

got an 04 f250 with the 6.0. It started cutting out and then sometimes auto accelerating about 5 month ago, usually at low rpm. It has happened a several times since then but is now getting more often. It has even died a few times but it starts right back up. The truck has been driven over 1000 miles since then and it usually runs fine. It has been to a profession mechanic and there are no codes and he said it is not the injectors. Anyone have a similar problem or know what it might be? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is not really supposed to be able to happen, There is no direct connection between the throttle pedal [cable] and a physical throttle. Throttle is generated by the pcm by controlling on and off duraation of the injectors all electricaly done.

The accelerator pedal has three potentiometers in a redundant array any 2 does not agree and the pcm defaults to a predetermined setting ignoring throttle commands.

That said I have recently seen several posts on other forums about the same thing.
I have seen no eplanation as yet and can think of no cause myself.

So yer not nuts I just have no soloution.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Jbp: I have an 04 (late model) with 180,000. It has done the same thing for 4 years now. I had taken my truck to 5different dealers and most of my friends are mechanics an NO ONE has been able to figure it out. My truck doesn't do it all the time but when it does if I have my foot on the brake at a light it will burp and actually push the truck as if someone bumped me from the rear. If you push hard on the brake peddle an the truck wants to do this the motor will stall. It will start right up an act as if there is no problem. There are times it is worse an then there are times I go weeks with out it. Everyone knows my truck does this an it's a big joke. I have one very close friend who I've let drive it for a week an he drove around with all his scan tools hooked up. It always comes back to injectors and I have a Edge CTS monitor an when I read the codes they will be for ICP. You clear them an it runs an sometimes the truck will act up an not throw any codes.

So, instead of my post just saying "Me Too!!" I'll say what I've done an had no luck. I've replaced the ICP (maybe 5times). I blew the heads an studded it an when I did it I did a EGR delete, I replaced the injectors,the turbo, the wiring harness, cleaned the intake of junk, new FICM, replaced the IPR once and replaced just the screen on the end of it. New up pipes while the heads were off. New fuel filters ( a bunch of times) and upgraded the fuel spring and bolts. I've added a SCT tuner with custom tunes an put it back to stock.

Pretty much I've replaced EVERYTHING it could be an had NO luck. Now my personal thoughts.. I notice it more often an 1/4 fuel or lower but can do it anytime. It always starts right up. I think the codes for the ICP are because when the truck burps the motor kinda stops an spudders. I think it spikes the volts an throws the codes. My next plan was to drop the tank an redo the fuel system. AirDogII and a sump in the tank an have been reading up on the right stuff to do when this goes on. My gut is fuel system problem but every mechanic says injector or ICP etc.

Other then this burp my truck runs great. All the mods listed plus some more has let in run a 13.2 in the 1/4 an smoke most trucks I play with. I might get a couple weeks without the problem an then.. Bam there it is an it has at times gotten REALLY REALLY bad. Then, it's gone again. People will think you are crazy an suggest a million fixes. I own my truck out right, 95% of the time it runs GREAT an is a blast to drive..

My fix to date.. I put it in neutral when at a light an let it fart an burp then put it in drive when I wanna move. NOTHING I have done or any dealership or friend has helped.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot for the replies and I hope someone else out there has a possible solution. RiskIt, thanks for going into such detail. You guys have a great Christmas and hopefully santa will bring me a new truck. Cheers!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Op, it sounds familiar to an icp going bad.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM

I don't think it's the ICP.. I've switch mine out more then once an had no luck. Atleast with my problem I can unplug the ICP while the truck is running to get the truck to run in limp mode an it still may do it.

Not saying it isn't an alot of people will point to it but that's the luck I've had with that.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Riskit. I have a 2004 F-250 with 185,000 miles.
I have the same exact problems. I have the Bulletproof EGR delete , SCT tuner, airraid cold air intake and 4" performance exhaust. These upgrades were installed 3 years ago and truck has run like a dream. Last year it failed to start and had to replace the FICM. Truck ran sluggish when I got it back from shop. Plugged in SCT tuner and it would NOT allow me to load tunes. Called SCT service tech , he said the mechanic failed return back to stock before replacing the FICM. Had to mail SCT tuner to manufacturer to be unlocked . Received tuner back a week later , loaded tunes. Within a couple weeks later truck began intermediate problem of missing, hesitation , occasional short acceleration burst and sometimes stalling at low rpms. Always restarts as you described. I think you said you replaced FICM or it had been. Did your truck have tuner when FICM replaced? If so was it returned to stock prior to replacement?

Last edited by OrbitalX; 03-12-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did anybody ever resolve this problem cause I am having the same exact thing happening to my truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.