2003 6.0 F-250 idling rough then complete loss of power. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0 F-250 idling rough then complete loss of power.

About two weeks ago my truck started running rough, (1st week of December, I can find the exact dates if needed). Anyway, I drove the truck today and it has started shuddering/bucking even when warm and has a complete loss of power. The truck is stock besides FICM work and it was checked three weeks prior to this happening.

The clip below is another post I made here explaining what happened.

I am beginning to think I got some **** fuel and clogged up the fuel filters, glad it was only a quarter tank though.

I guess I'll explain a little better....

Friday night - Ran my truck to my cousins to babysit, had about 1/4 tank of good fuel where I normally fill her up at. Got done babysitting around 12pm friday night (Technically saturday morning) and went to put more fuel in, my normal stop was closed so I went up the road to a truck stop and put $33 in (1/4 tank) to get her home, this bumped me up to right under 1/2 a tank total (1/4 normal, 1/4 truck stop).

Sat I drove the truck to a party and parade, I was romping on it all day and most of the night and it ran fine, didn't give me a lick of trouble, burned out just under 1/4 tank. (so back down to just over 1/4 tank)

Sun - Mom asked me to run about 3 miles up the road to grab something for her, let dad drive and he floored the F**K out of the truck going up a hill about a minute after he cranked it up. This pissed me off pretty bad. (1 for revving a cold diesel, 2 cause I'm paying for fuel)

Anyway, we got where we were going and I hopped out to toss the stuff in the bed, I heard the truck rev up for a second ( Just a blip of a second) and then the truck idled way down (I thought he had shifted back into drive waiting for me to get back in the truck) and when I walked to my door he asked if the truck was smoking, sure enough a wisp of black smoke came out of the exhaust, not a bunch and no force behind it, just a wisp.

But I jumped in and he said it feels like it's camming, and sure enough it felt like it had dropped maybe <100 RPM's and it's enough to make the truck shake while it is sitting there, not enough to be a major PITA but enough to notice and it kinda effect you. I have owned it for three weeks and it has never done this, and it's still doing it (I have not driven it since sunday though)

On the way home we took another route that has a 55mph straightaway, the truck felt like it was responding funny but wasn't missing and went from 35-80-something in no time and didn't think twice about doing it (The truck was warm at this time so I don't think it's stiction) And the FICM was JUST checked and repaired before the truck was purchased, it has a bad fusable link and was either repaired at Rudy's or another trusted shop (I have had my trans done there multiple times in my other truck, and when I say multiple I mean two times because my old truck lost R, 1, OD, then my dad *cough* pulled a overweight trailer and f****d up my trans, which they nicely and generously replaced a day before Christmas with an aftermarket clutch pack even though I was out of warranty)

I am going to replace the filters and fluids when I have the time and money.

End of quote.

The truck was not driven for two weeks (as stated above) and I checked the WIF seperator today and attempted to check the EGR. The fuel was clean and the Egr was stuck so I could not remove it. There is no smoke except for the initial puff on the first startup of the day.

Do you guys think I got bad fuel and need to change fluids and filters or did I maybe mess something up? I will monitor it as soon as I can but right now I need to get it running good enough to at least get it to a shop.

I will provide any other info I can..

Thanks, Troy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

I didn't read anything of a complete or even partial loss of power in your story. No one can diagnose your problem based on what you posted. A guess would be an injector. However, without a monitor, data and following the trouble-shooting guide it could be numerous things.

For example, rather than telling us your life story, why not give us just the facts:

Outside temp 35*F, a bit of whitish smoke and a puff or 2 black smoke just after it starts. Went for a short trip without warming up the truck. Dumb-*** driver (not me) hammered on the fuel pedal when leaving and going uphill! When at our destination, 3 miles away, the truck was loping during idle. Shut it off and restarted and it still loped at idle. Now, every time I start it the engine lopes for XX minutes. When warm it runs fine or continues to lope at idle. FICM voltage is 47v or greater. ICP at idle is about 700psi. Fuel pressure (if you have a gauge) reads >50psi.

In this case I would say do a cold engine buzz test and cold engine contribution/balance test to find the injector that may be weak, I would also say you could try rev-x or archoil, but they may only buy you a bit more time.

Now based on your story.... hammering on your injectors before the oil is even warm is a great way to damage them. You may want to have a talk with the big kid behind the wheel. It sounds like he may owe you an injector!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Sorry, the clip I inserted was from a thread where everyone wanted data/info organized.

The temps have been in the 70's here, truck always has a white haze for a second after crankup. The truck idled down in neutural while my dad was waiting for me to get what I was getting and showed a minor loss of power on the way home from 0-45, then from 45-80 it cleared up and took off. Two weeks passed and I cranked it up a couple times to check the FICM voltage (49V) and WIF seperator. When I drove the truck yesterday, it idled rough through the temp range and on the way home had trouble climbing a small hill. Dad is trying to call bad fuel/needing an oil change, I am thinking it was the hard launch less than a minute after cranking the truck that messed up whatever is acting up.

I have no way to check ICP or fuel pressure at the moment but I will try to get that and a contribution and buzz test done if I can find somewhere to do it. I may be able to get it to my school's diesel shop and hook it up to a diagnostic tool, but the engine isn't throwing any lights or codes yet.

Would unplugging the ICP possibly help in this situation? I am going to order an insight for the truck, I have not yet because the truck was three weeks old at the time it started acting up. I plan on getting it deleted and monitored in the next few weeks, maybe i'll need an injector as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Unplugging the ICP would be used more for a no-start issue.

It certainly could help to change all the filters and oil, assuming they need changing. Or if you have not changed them, perhaps it is time to find out what is under those caps.

On a common-rail fuel system, there is less chance for damage than with a HEIU style. The common-rail uses piezzos-electrics to control the fuel shot. The HEIU uses oil to fire pistons that push the fuel out. On a cold injector the force is like a big hammer hitting a needle that may not be ready for it!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM

for starters, check for codes.

just under and to the drivers side of the turbo you'll see a foil covered tube on the engine harness. pull that tube back and have a look in there. it's almost certainly covered in oil. that's your icp sensor leaking. if so, replace the pigtail and sensor. install a late model sensor, as they are far less prone to leaks.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 PM

I will check it in the morning if this storm clears up. Thanks for the advise guys! She will get fixed one way or another, I'm not fond of new trucks and will fix this one many times before getting a 6.7.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need this, or get rid of the truck.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 AM

I have been scouring all over that page making a list of things to check and look for. It's guys like you who just tell people to get rid of thier trucks if they don't properly mantain them every minute that make me want to just not log on anymore. I asked for help with a problem, I don't need you telling me to get rid of my truck if I can't spend a ton of cash on it right now.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM

check and clean your egr valve
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 AM

Would you happen for have a reccomendation for removing it? Mine is stuck on the o-rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.