Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New truck. oil cooler problem. need a bit of advice

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  6.0guy 
#1 ·
Hey, So i just brought an 04 f250 xlt fx4 6.0l less then a week ago with 200,000miles has f350 suspension,and ranch hand legend bumpers. it looks like the heads have off the truck in the last 100,000miles. the engine is very clean, interior is clean same with the body no dents but some small minor scratches. did some research on the truck with carfax. called the dealer that serviced it and it was one of the diesel mechanics that owned it. they said it was well taken care of and he had some minor work done to it. but the heads where not done in the shop. we got the truck from a shop xlr8 diesel in woodsboro md. had about a 70mile drive home. i picked up a sct livewire ts so i could monitor the truck on the way home. i did not tune the truck untill after the trip, just monitored my temps and what not. so my temp delta was 180 coolant, 235 oil temp. thats a huge big spread. i guess that means my oil cooler is clogged and my egr cooler will go up soon. next day i looked under the hood where the egr cooler goes and its gone. there a freeze plug on the pipe behind the turbo, so the previous owner took it out and pluged it makes sense being who the previous owner was. so there no worries about that. i just need to fix the oil cooler. How long do i have befor something bad happens,is it gonna be that hard to do my self. i know where the part is and how to get to it. has any one here that has done it have any tips. i have owned many 6.0l one got from an action and drove it home 120 miles with a blown egr cooler.had xlr8 fix it. did lots of research and learning about 6.0l and i do have decent mechanical abilitys, done lots of maintenance on bigger diesels like dt466,pulled a turbo on an old ford 6.6l worked on chippers and various equipment and engines. so i am not bad at working on things. if i decide to do this job. it will be the first major work ive done on a truck like this. im just looking for any advice or tips that will help me out. and how much longer i got before it really causes a problem and what else can happen from a clogged oil cooler besides egr cooler failure.

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd agree wholeheartedly that your oil cooler is clogged. And it's possible that your thermostat is stuck open (truck should get closer to 190* during a 70 mile trip). Here's some good reading for you about what all is involved with an oil cooler replacement (pic heavy).

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...32-bulletproof-diesel-oil-cooler-install.html

Although you obviously don't have to worry about an EGR cooler failure, you are shortening the lifespan of anything that uses the oil, including your injectors. Just as important, you'll probably push the oil temp over the safety defueling threshold of 253* if you tow anything.

The good news is that this site has a wealth of information and tons of members who are willing and able to offer assistance.

#3 ·
Thank you very much, i don't think ill be towing anytime soon, we have been driving the truck a bit sense we got it. because my dads truck is actually in the shop getting head studs and a few other things, so we don't have another truck to drive until we get his back, i have not see the temp get higher then 236, since we the 70 mile trip.about how long would you say it has before it really starts to do damage. can any thing be done until then.

#4 ·
Your causing damage now. It's not catastrophic damage, but certainly creating additional wear and tear. At a minimum, I'd suggest switching to a synthetic motor oil.

Oil temps for your motor are just like transmission fluid temps: the higher they are and the longer they exist, the shorter the expected lifespan of the overall component.

#5 ·
I suggest not running it at all, that oil cooler should have busted yesterday. I mean your on borrowed time.....

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.