some random problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
some random problems

Ok first off im new to owning a diesel... been reading a ton of info but could use some help. maybe in person if anyone lives around the lansdale, pa area and would be willing.

I bought an 03 f350 a couple months ago. Got a tuner off a friend and decided i should do studs and an egr delete before i tuned it. So i coughed up the money and purchased a kit from xdp with head gaskets arp suds, egr delete, oil cooler. installed and seemed to run good. also pcv mod and blue spring.

Problems: seems to run a little rough hot/cold sometimes, some times long crank other times real short hot/ cold, some surging (like at steady throttle it will all a sudden gain power), sometimes seems to have a miss under like half throttle heavy acceleration... only for like a couple light misses then takes off and seems to be ok for awhile., gas mileage seems to slowly fall beat on it mileage went up then slowly dropped off(computer).

Only things i noticed while i had it apart were the screen before hpop part of it was gone and i replaced with new one, and second was either the icp or ipr connector i cant remember the insulation was partial melt off. I fixed with heat shrink.

Put delco 15w-40 in it bc thats all i could get at time, drained some and added hot shot. plan on putting shell t6 in next. has about 4k since studs, also been using xdp fuel additive,
no smoking, or check engine light

I dont have to tools to run monitors and it seems like it could be anything. any help would be great.

Last edited by mx13w; 12-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor, read the stickies. Sounds like icp and/or pigtail is bad. Load test batteries, perform ficm check procrdure. Use only motorcraft or racor filters with matching caps, and a good quality oil. Tuner may be a problem also. Hard to geuss without a monitor.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok some updates .....
took tuner out and used a snap on tool to read sensor outputs.....
after some beating on truck and stuff all a sudden a p006a code popped up... manifold absolute pressure, mass or volume air flow correlation....

Other then that cant find anything that seems wrong
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i plugged egr in so it would read without tuner and it does say its out of its limits.... but other then that when i self diag engine running or engine off or injector buzz everything seems fine

- icp at idle is like 638 psi
ipr is like 27%
ebp seems all over but isnt that programed in? i unplugged seemed to not change.... it goes up to around 200 psi cruising with rpm under 2000
ficm is about 47 v +- .5 hot or cold seems to stay steady

icp compared to desired seems alittle off at times but scanner is slow with read out. sometimes its 100 psi below other times is above desired.

someone told me that the code i have is a ghost code.

any thoughts on what to look at next? gonna try and do fuel pressure soon

running an sct tuner (not currently) and just switched to shell t6 before scan

Last edited by mx13w; 01-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

southend: my bat stays above 12v on start and like 13.8 normal and put stock oil filter back in during oil change. not looking for a handout just not sure what im looking at everything seems ok but i dunno acts up sometimes and my mileage seems to be dropping (yes i know its winter) but still
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx13w View Post
southend: my bat stays above 12v on start and like 13.8 normal and put stock oil filter back in during oil change. not looking for a handout just not sure what im looking at everything seems ok but i dunno acts up sometimes and my mileage seems to be dropping (yes i know its winter) but still
Voltages look good, you need to keep an eye on the icp when you see problems. Did you say that ebp was 200psi?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea ebp seems all over sometimes its like 7psi most of the time it seems to be like 33psi at idle and i have seen it up to over 200 psi when driving normal under accel at like 1800 rpm.... i have an 03 f350 i thought the sensor does nothing? but im not sure of current pcm program.... i pulled the connector while engine was cold and it did nothing (while engine running) for output value... stayed at like 33 psi

i have been checking icp alot but my scanner like i said is slow so its hard to tell if sensor is messed up. at idle it seems to stay consistent at around 630 to 640 ish

any ideas on the "ghost" p006a code that just popped up? (someone i know told me is a ghost code hard to figure out and to ignore unless it pops up again soon after clearing)

Last edited by mx13w; 01-05-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

That code is a map sensor code, not really familiar with it. My epb is 2 psi or so at idle. The epb and turbo boost should be around 2:1. When I run at cruise on flat ground I might see 4psi ebp and 2 psi boost. Check your map sensor to see if it is plugged. I'm wondering if your catalytic converter is plugged?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no cat... or muffler straight 3.5" downpipe to 4 inch pipe for exhaust.

ill try map sensor plug but im pretty sure it is ok just came up today up until this point havent had a problem.... i normally run sct tune with erg delete. currently have it plugged in and laying in engine bay. since i put it back to stock. my ect and eot are within 10 deg i dunno its so weird i dont seem to have a hpo leak all sensor values seem ok but i swear something seems off...and why the miss and stuff.,,, its driving me nuts... havent checked fuel psi yet but it runs fine mostly and it only misses alittle sometimes and then is a beast i dunno if that would be fuel issue

Last edited by mx13w; 01-05-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Make sure your map sensor port and hose is clear, and the hose is not torn or cracked. I wonder if your map sensor is bad. With the esy you described it running, your hpop may be on the way out. Watch icp and ipr closely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.