Thermostat housing issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thermostat housing issue

Okay, learned the hard way. New thermostat from Ford, came with new housing. Old thermostat appeared to be stuck open, 172,000 miles. Old housing looked good,a nd I didn't want to trash the upper hose trying to get it off, so reused it and swapped in the new thermostat. Bad mistake. Engine ran even cooler. Take it apart, close inspection.....the hole the 'pin' of the thermostat goes into, inside the housing, was worn and sloppy, allowing the thermostat to fit loosely and wobble. Swapped back into new housing, problem fixed. Tested old thermostat, original equipment dated 11/2005 in my '06 F-350....thermostat fine, problem was just the housing.

Was a good oppurtunity to install the Sinister Coolant Filter Kit. Will be running it for a week or two, then do a complete flush.....then dive into the egr bypass and new oil cooler kit I have. Just wanted to get the thermostat issue taken care of...I have heard you need to maintain 180 degree's for the cleaner to work, and I was maxing out at 170. (Oil temp on the freeway, even at 170 degree's ECT, was 202-205.....so I imagine that wuill go up 10 degree's now.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only way to get an accurate delta reading is with the truck at correct ot. 190. Recheck it, give us an update.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

I'll be checking it in the morning on the way to work. Regardless of what it is, I'll be doing the egr delete and new oil cooler in a week or two. 172,000 miles, bought it a few weeks ago.....dealer installed new turbo and 2 injectors, as well as a handful of other misc items. I have the whole service history from the dealer that worked on it since new. The egr cooler and oil cooler at this mileage makes me nervous. I aquired all the parts I need, just waiting for the right time to dive into it. Other than a rough running issue last April, which resulted in teh new turbo and 2 injectors at the dealer, the only other issues the previous owner has had was the pinion seal and needing brakes, both also replaced at the dealer at 160,000 miles. Seems to have been taken care of according to Fords maintenance schedule.....runs beautifully.

I do my own wrenching......these are way to expensive just in parts to have to pay the labor rates to get anything done. I have a '86 VW diesel, 360,000+ miles on it, rebuilt it 2 years ago....and that crowd's biggest fear is a bad injection pump. The only expensive item, around $600. Injectors can be had for $50. No computer, no electronics, and 52 mpg on the highway. Although it's useless or hauling anything, and quite gutless.....it gets the wife and I to Vegas, 1000 miles away, for a mere 20 gallons. This is my second Powerstroke, other one is the 7.3 in a body that is falling apart. Neglected by previous owner, rust issues. 461,600 miles.....as far as I know the heads have never been off it. I baby it at this point. Still runs great, and if it lasts until summer I'll pull the motor, rebuild it, and find a different body for it. Between the two, I prefer the 6.0. It 'feels' like more power, and generally more fun all around.

Last edited by rdezs; 12-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

After 30 minutes at 68 mph, ECT is 192, EOT is a steady 201....
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdezs View Post
After 30 minutes at 68 mph, ECT is 192, EOT is a steady 201....
If that was mine I wouldn't touch the oil cooler, yet. Do you know what coolant you have and how fresh it is?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

It has the Ford gold stuff, fairly clean. Not impressed with the residue/powder inside the upper radiator hose, though. I'm betting it's still the original coolant, as the thermostat was dated '05 and had corrosion on the shaft.

172,000 miles.....I'm really big on preventative maintenance items. There's a bit of oil in the valley below the turbo, but it's not the turbo oil lines. Not enough to call it a leak....I'd call it 'nominal seepage' that doesn't create any drips down below. Possible it's from the last oil filter change. I'll clean it off this weekend and see if it returns.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The oil in the valley below the turbo is likely seepage from the boot between the turbo and CAC pipe. The CCV brings oil throughout the CAC path resulting in saturated CAC boots, which then seep. I rerouted my CCV to the end of my fuel tank and my boots are drier after 9 months, but still seeping some due to oil in the bottom of the intercooler.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

I'll check the CCV and see what's going on there when I get it apart. Looks like next weekend. Have an exhaust smell in cab when cold, suspect the original Y-pipe...have a new one coming. I'm going to go ahead and dive right in with the egr delete, new oil cooler, blue spring update. Turbo was new last April, and updated lines and dummy plugs done at same time by dealer. Put the sinister coolant filter on, looks good. I'll be doing a full system flush Saturday.....went ahead and splurged for the Furano valves for each side of the block. I have one gallon of Restore, and 30 gallons of distilled water. New fuel filters, oil filter, 4 gallons of Rotella ELC, new block heater as mine is dead it seems, full intake gasket set....sure wish the remote oil filter kits weren't so expensive. I'm planning on all day Saturday for the flush, followed by a thorough backflush on the heater core and radiator. Then pull it in the shop to get started Sunday morning. I see I'll be needing one of my wifes old blankets to fold up and lay on, when on top of the engine.....that's a long time laying up there getting poked by brakets and everything.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDER1 View Post
The oil in the valley below the turbo is likely seepage from the boot between the turbo and CAC pipe. The CCV brings oil throughout the CAC path resulting in saturated CAC boots, which then seep. I rerouted my CCV to the end of my fuel tank and my boots are drier after 9 months, but still seeping some due to oil in the bottom of the intercooler.
Re-routed to behind the fuel tank, vented to the outside? Are you getting much in the way of oil on the undercarraige or rear axle?

I'm wondering if an oil catch system like a lot of the import car crowd use would be a good alternative. Basically catches the oil in a separator, then the hose continues to the intake. Requires draining the separator every once in a while, depending on how much blow by the engine has. Space is limited under the hood, though.....might be tough finding a good spot that doesn't already have other stuff, like the coolant filter.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes, used 1" heater hose and rerouted down along the frame and dumps after the skid plate for the fuel tank. Many articles and suggestions on how to to this posted. I did mine at 138k, since i purchased it at 131k. In 11 months, there is a small wet spot at the tip, but no drops or spray on rear axle. I did get a small filter from TSC with some fittings to place it inline to catch the mist, but haven't put inline yet since I had a long deployment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.