6.0 Dies, no LPO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Dies, no LPO

Ok, this is going to be LONG, but i want to cover everything if I can.

The truck has in the last 6 mos and 1000 miles all new

HPOP
LPOP and front cover
EGR DEL
injector o-rings (i cant verify that but was told by previous owner a shop did it for him AND they said they did it again when we took it there) I will leave the shop name out for now.
Factory oil cap and filter, just to be sure.

It has been to 3, yes count them again, 3 shops. No one can figure it out. 2 of them are very well respected diesel shops in this area.

When cold, I mean cold, 25-40 it starts with 75-80 psi on the low pressure side. Readings with a mechanical gauge.

Within 20 min of idling, as it gets warm 180ish, it gradually drops to 0 on the LP side. again with a mechanical gauge. IPR is being commanded to 85% but there just isnt any oil there.

It starts and runs great, when cold. Maybe what feels like a small miss at idle but clears up immediately if its raised off idle.

Other things I know done to the truck

RCD 90 horse injectors.
Tuner (currently programmed back to stock)
4" exhaust
lift...
Cheap gauges, ex temp, boost, trans temp

OK, on to the story

My father in law bought this this truck from a guy, took it on a drive of about 30 miles round trip. Drove fine. Next day long crank but started. Another 15-20 miles drive and it died. I towed it home and did as many tests as I could find on the net. Basically decided it needed a new HPOP. or the STC fitting. I didnt want to do in the driveway so we took it to a shop. Both were replaced. No start. They said we give up, you dont owe us for labor take it out of here. So it got towed home. More testing and we replaced the LPOP, and front cover. Started and ran fine. Drove about 400-500 miles, died near home.

Had it towed to one of the mentioned local shops. They said recall on the o rings on the injectors. Said they put them in. Went to pick up the truck, made it 5 miles, died..........

Was hell to restart but eventually pressure on the dash came up and I got it to the house.

Got it to another local independent shop, so far lots of testing. Air test on the HPO system shows absolutely no leaks. Hooking the IPR up to jumpers and commanding open doesnt change the low oil pressure. We have done and checked every forum and test I can find and nothing. I have tried everything and so has the guy in the shop. He is a cummins guy really but he has 20+ years on diesels, knows the 7.3 really well. Still, no one is sure about anything.

Where do I go from here? The truck will start cold perfect, sometimes long crank and sometimes not. I can watch the gauge drop the warmer it gets. What else can cause this in the LPO side? Im basically convinced its a LPO problem. After LPO goes away completely the truck will continue to run, for a few minutes, I assume until the resi for the HPO runs dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh, and yes, I have searched and used the sticky's and everything I can come up with to run tests and check. Im at a loss.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Did they replace the pressure releif valve for the LPOP?
You might see how it acts with the a$s end of the truck up in the air to see if it continues to make pressure. That will submerge the entire pump in oil so if there is a pick up issue or front cover problem (still) or even meshing issue it wont loose it's prime.
If it still loses pressure after heating up I would think the releif may be what's going on with it.
Hopefully someone will chime in that has seen this before. I again would try submerging the oil pump from nosing down truck.

What year is your truck?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the front cover came with a new relief valve and yes we put it in, we have also considered the pickup problem. We have run it with the rear end on a lift, i would say the tires a foot or more off the ground. We have also tried over filling it by a gal to see if it had a cracked pickup tube or bad oring. Neither changes it. Whatever it is has gotten progressively worse even with new parts being put in.

The truck is an 05 with about 109K on it
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since you have covered the oil system maybe you should look at the fuel system.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not sure I understand. Could a fuel system problem cause a loss of low pressure oil? There is for sure a problem somewhere with oil. It looses pressure as it gets warm. Is there something in the fuel system that could cause that?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Sorry not thinking clearly

Sorry wasn't thinking clearly the situation I was thinking on actully couldn't happen. Thought maybe some injector oil valves were partially stuck open, but that cn't physicaly happen.

So assumeing they gave you the right pump and cover and your regulator valve was installed correctly there are only a few things to make it loose pressure.

If you have a 03/04 pump there is a ballbearing plug pressed into the pump body. If it comes out the hpop will loose oil faster than the lpop can supply.
The truck useually wont be able to start but sometimes does.

Damaged or missing filter houseing components drain valve, filter bypass valve, damaged filter stalk/tower.

Oil filter and cap mismatch, the filter not being able to close off the dain valve. Most common with a wix cap and a different filter. Wix filters are 1" longer/taller than any of the others and come with their own high domed cap to accomodate them. For example a wix cap and a motorcraft filter with the filter snaped into the cap the filtre won't even touch the drain valve never mind close it.

Hope this helps more.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM

i would have a close look at that drain back valve in the filter housing. make sure everything looks ok there. how exactly did you test the ipr? did you duty cycle it with shop air hooked up and monitor pressure? was the problem occurring when you tested the ipr?
another test you can try is to dead head the hpo system, and air it up with the oil filter cap off. if you hear any hissing out of the filter housing, the hpop is bleeding back. i know you replaced it already, but who knows, maybe bad out the box.
a loss in oil pressure on the high side is going to result in a loss on the low side if you're just monitoring through a gauge plumbed into it. the low side needs to be isolated if you want to confirm that.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 AM

how did the old lpop housing look? was it extremely scored at one side? i'm just wondering if maybe the housing was slightly off center
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Subscribe

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.