SOMEONE HELP PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

at my witts end!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have an 04 F250 6.0. had it 2 years now. when i got the truck off a dodge dealer it had 42k on it. it was driven by a ford rep first. then a doctor got it and ended up going on a mission overseas and in those years it was sitting not being ran.
anyway. it was doin great for the first year then had to put in the ford shop and that cost me about $1000. cant remember what they did to it but it wudnt start, just crank. well recently it started idoling ruff and throttle surging. put an EGR delete kit on it. still did it. Replaced fuel filters. replaced the EBT sensor and cleaned the tube to it out. still doing it. replaced the injector that tested bad, twice. tested the fuel filter and it showed 58psi i believe. i dont think or know if it has anything to do with the FICM because it doesnt stall or have a problem cold starting or starting period. if anyone can shed some light on anything it will help. thank you............matt

and i looked at the reciept and it was the FICM that was replaced last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do this.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Or keep going crazy.
Sounds like it might be a bad icp and/or pigtail. Is your icp located on the right front valve cover?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

^^^ X2 Low injector pressure for engine speed will cause those symptoms. After looking at ICP pressure I would also look at the ficm values.

You need a gauge set-up ScangaugeII is a $160.00 item available at Auto Zone for $160.00, there are much nicer units available but regardless of price you need one for troubleshooting and after you get it up and running right you can use it for watching exactly how engine is doing. I have a ScangaugeII and would be lost without it.

Good Luck and: get some gauges so we can help you diagnose your problem...........
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

how does one check the ficm voltage?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
how does one check the ficm voltage?
What you need to do is go to a Auto Zone store and purchace a ScangaugeII monitor gauge, it is a on the shelf item and will cost you $160.00. There is a function on it called X-Gauges from there you can program in PID #s for the sensors for the 6.0 PowerStroke engine. This tool will read virtually everything the PCM (trucks computer) sees, you can read the ficm voltages and sync EBP.EGR,MAF,MAP ond on and on, again everything.

Once you get the scangauge we can help you diagnose what your truck is doing, without it all we can do is guess and you can start throwing parts at it but you know how costly that can be!

Yoou can leave the ScangaugeII plugged into the OBDII port all the time and it will read the engine data temp oil cooler temp, injector pressure, hpop duty%,ficm voltage, and right on down the line, the only things it can't see is: fuel pressure and exhaust temps but everything else it will see.
A lot of us use it myself included and it's probably the best money I have spent on my truck, oh yea it also is a code reader.
There are more expensive units out there and many fancy units available but for the money it can't be beat.
Mark.............
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
What you need to do is go to a Auto Zone store and purchace a ScangaugeII monitor gauge, it is a on the shelf item and will cost you $160.00. There is a function on it called X-Gauges from there you can program in PID #s for the sensors for the 6.0 PowerStroke engine. This tool will read virtually everything the PCM (trucks computer) sees, you can read the ficm voltages and sync EBP.EGR,MAF,MAP ond on and on, again everything.

Once you get the scangauge we can help you diagnose what your truck is doing, without it all we can do is guess and you can start throwing parts at it but you know how costly that can be!

Yoou can leave the ScangaugeII plugged into the OBDII port all the time and it will read the engine data temp oil cooler temp, injector pressure, hpop duty%,ficm voltage, and right on down the line, the only things it can't see is: fuel pressure and exhaust temps but everything else it will see.
A lot of us use it myself included and it's probably the best money I have spent on my truck, oh yea it also is a code reader.
There are more expensive units out there and many fancy units available but for the money it can't be beat.
Mark.............
Thanks Mark. I'm gonna take your advice. If it can read the codes, ficm voltages injector pressure and all the other things it will be well worth the money. Can it read which injector is defective?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Thanks Mark. I'm gonna take your advice. If it can read the codes, ficm voltages injector pressure and all the other things it will be well worth the money. Can it read which injector is defective?
It has the PID,s for the function but haven't heard anyone that had success with the injectors, myself I don't think it's processor is fast enough to process in the mili seconds required to track the injectors.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok!!!!!! well,,,, i have tryed everything. even replaced the EBP sensor again thinking i might have gotten a bad one. not the case. ended up having a bad sensor in the tranny. that wasnt the cause of my problems either! come to find out it was just a bad connection in the ICP sensor. EASY FIX TOO. which i have had to do in the past. put a dab of grease in the top of the sensor!!!!! lmao!. so.....all you guys out there who have been having the same issues i was having might try the simple things like putting grease in your sensor connectors hahahaha!!. ford should put that in the manual. now with the programmer i have, and didnt really need, and all the new parts and it running great!!! i love it again!!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1976 View Post
ok!!!!!! well,,,, i have tryed everything. even replaced the EBP sensor again thinking i might have gotten a bad one. not the case. ended up having a bad sensor in the tranny. that wasnt the cause of my problems either! come to find out it was just a bad connection in the ICP sensor. EASY FIX TOO. which i have had to do in the past. put a dab of grease in the top of the sensor!!!!! lmao!. so.....all you guys out there who have been having the same issues i was having might try the simple things like putting grease in your sensor connectors hahahaha!!. ford should put that in the manual. now with the programmer i have, and didnt really need, and all the new parts and it running great!!! i love it again!!
Glad you got it going. I'm sure that is exactly what was suggested in post #2. If you create a post but don't answer the questions, i'm not surprised you ended up just changing parts. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the kind words and generous advise!! lmao. never accured to you that the actual question was overlooked as something other than a question? go beat you wife or something!! idiot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.