new guy working on a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new guy working on a 6.0

Hi everyone, my name is Chapman and I am new to this forum. I signed up after I got a call about a 6.0 with a leak and other issues. I myself own a dmax,( please no negative commentss) but have nothing against any diesel truck. I am currently in college at the University of Northwestern Ohio majoring in diesel technology and plan to open my shop once I get out of school next year. I do a lot of work on trucks in my freetime for friends and family, and recently out of towners have been calling and asking me to work on their trucks.

Well the 6.0 im currently working on is an 04. The customer concern was a bad leak. I diagnosed a blow headgasket on the passenger side, bad egr cooler and bad oil cooler. I found that the screen filter in the valley under the oil cooler was also blown. I started the tear down with the CAB ON. Im doing it at this customers house as my garage is a mess and he wanted to watch. which was no problem. I want to give some people some advice that i found out the hard way.

1. when removing the turbo, use a air ratchet to get the bolt out of the back that goes into the pedistal. theres not a lot of hand room back there.

2. when taking the heads off. its a really tight fit and some of the stock head bolts dont let the head come off easy. I used a wire tied around the bolts to keep them from falling back into the holes when lifting the head off.

3. There are a lot of bolts. I put all the bolts that go together in sandwich bags and labeled them. This should make things so much easier when rebuilding.

4. Take your time. It is a very tight space and you dont want to break anything.

5. Use a 19mm socket to remove the plastic injector harness from the top of the head.

6. I had to use a small pry bar to remove the glowplug harness from the inside of the head once i had it off. I tried twisting wire aorund the harness on the outside of the head but kept breaking the plastic parts to the harness. I wish i knew how to upload pictures becasue i have taken a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get a photobucket account. then upload your pics to photobucket and you can link them all here.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent09 View Post
Hi everyone, my name is Chapman and I am new to this forum. I signed up after I got a call about a 6.0 with a leak and other issues. I myself own a dmax,( please no negative commentss) but have nothing against any diesel truck. I am currently in college at the University of Northwestern Ohio majoring in diesel technology and plan to open my shop once I get out of school next year. I do a lot of work on trucks in my freetime for friends and family, and recently out of towners have been calling and asking me to work on their trucks.

Well the 6.0 im currently working on is an 04. The customer concern was a bad leak. I diagnosed a blow headgasket on the passenger side, bad egr cooler and bad oil cooler. I found that the screen filter in the valley under the oil cooler was also blown. I started the tear down with the CAB ON. Im doing it at this customers house as my garage is a mess and he wanted to watch. which was no problem. I want to give some people some advice that i found out the hard way.

1. when removing the turbo, use a air ratchet to get the bolt out of the back that goes into the pedistal. theres not a lot of hand room back there.

2. when taking the heads off. its a really tight fit and some of the stock head bolts dont let the head come off easy. I used a wire tied around the bolts to keep them from falling back into the holes when lifting the head off.

3. There are a lot of bolts. I put all the bolts that go together in sandwich bags and labeled them. This should make things so much easier when rebuilding.

4. Take your time. It is a very tight space and you dont want to break anything.

5. Use a 19mm socket to remove the plastic injector harness from the top of the head.

6. I had to use a small pry bar to remove the glowplug harness from the inside of the head once i had it off. I tried twisting wire aorund the harness on the outside of the head but kept breaking the plastic parts to the harness. I wish i knew how to upload pictures becasue i have taken a lot.
Good job. Click the build thread link in my signature if you need any tips or tricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.