Cursed 03 F350 - No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cursed 03 F350 - No Start

The Backstory:
Earlier this year I bought an 03 F350 XL 6.0L auto that was a buddy's service truck for AC repair. It had a couple known problems that were expected for the age. It had 200,000 miles on it, two injectors failed contribution tests and what appeared to be a HPOP leak. Got it for a song since the company didn't want to pay their mechanic the $5k he wanted to fix it. That was my mistake.

I drove it home and it idled rough, but was decent when moving. It would de-fuel at about 2500 RPM intermittently. Then one day it wouldn't start. A quick shot of ether and it's off to the races for the day, but the next morning no start. This is summer in TX. I decided it was time to start fixin stuff.

8 new injectors, new HPOP cover, IPR, HPOP feed tube, EGR delete, water pump, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, also replaced the fuel regulator spring with a blue and it's now holding 65 PSI instead of 35.

Still won't start except with a shot of ether. I get a brain and pick up a ScanGaugeII and find out the FICM voltage is low when running, 17v. Get the FICM rebuilt, and it runs like a scalded *** ape, no de-fueling, just running perfect. For about 1500 miles. AC compressor locks up and the truck won't turn over. Put in a new starter, new compressor, condensor, orifice tube, and belt. After that it's running awesome again!!

Then things take a turn for the worse, it's broken into, ransacked and the ScanGauge is stolen from it's hiding area under the seat. A couple weeks later it's stolen, joy riden about 5 miles from my house and recovered by the police with a messed up bumper, the radio pulled out (no face on it) and some new dents. Oh the horn and power port don't work now.

The Problem:
Couple weeks of it running perfect I'm pulling into my office and i notice the throttle is not working, i'm just idling up my parking garage. It eventually lowers the idle to a point where it dies. Since then I can get it to start, but it idles for about 2 minutes at 250 rpm then stumbles to nothing. When it starts and runs it doesn't have the healthy "crack" of a 6.0. Just very quiet and any load (brakes, turn steering, AC on) and it dies. A shot of ether will start it, but it won't run on it's own.

I've borrowed a friend's scanner, the FICM read 47.5v, ICP is 525psi when cranking 600+ on ether, IPR is 85% when cranking, visually inspected the ICP and can't see/feel oil contamination. It throws a code for the crank position sensor, but that's intermittent, and complains about the VGT, which it's always done. No CEL.

I finally got it back to my house after 2 months at my office garage, I've changed the oil, fuel and oil filters. I'm borrowing an OTC Genisys scanner and I'm going out of my mind trying to figure out what the problem is.

Any ideas on what could be causing this or what else to check? I've burned through way too much $$ on what I thought would sort this truck out only to have more stuff die. I seriously think this truck is cursed or it just really hates me. It's got 208,000 miles on it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pull your secondary fuel filter, hfcm fuse and ficm relay. Have someone crank it over and see if there are bubbles or gas in the housing.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It turned out the hpop screen came apart and took out the hpop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.