2004 f350 6.0 fuel gauge not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 f350 6.0 fuel gauge not working

Hopefully someone can help me with this. The fuel gauge quit working all of a sudden. It was registering 1/2 tank then just dropped all at once. When I hooked up my scanner after filling the tank, the fuel level registered 100%, which should be right considering I filled the tank. When u turn the key on all the gauges move a little bit except for the fuel gauge. Has anyone else heard of this problem??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Either your sender wire broke or the gauge circuit in the instrument cluster module took a dump. Or the gauge itself died. I would suspect the gauge since you still get a reading from the pcm. Since you have a 04 you can change the gauge. 05 and up ya have to do the whole cluster.

NOTE: A 05 you can still take the cluster apart and change the gauge but Ford won't sell ya one if ya tell em it's for a 05. Pssst the 04 gauge is the same but I didn't say that.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Join the club, mine does it from time to time, i'm going to ignore it for as long as I can. Ridiculously common on these trucks.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

My 2003 f350 fuel gauge quit working and the ford dealer said I have to replace the entire cluster for $700 is this right or can I buy just the fuel gauge, they said the computer showed 90% full but the fuel gauge says half. This happened after my battery cable broke and I lost power and when I repaired the cable and cleaned the terminal everything went back to nomal except the fuel gauge.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM

I've had similar issues on my 2003, I replaced the sender and that did not fix it. I ended up running new wire directly to the cluster from the wiring in the driver side kick panel area.

Here's the thread I started on it with my progress if you're interested:

Fuel Guage Issue: Sender Replaced
Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Sorry i cant help but seems to be common... buddies 05 doesnt work either...
Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Either your sender wire broke or the gauge circuit in the instrument cluster module took a dump. Or the gauge itself died. I would suspect the gauge since you still get a reading from the pcm. Since you have a 04 you can change the gauge. 05 and up ya have to do the whole cluster.

NOTE: A 05 you can still take the cluster apart and change the gauge but Ford won't sell ya one if ya tell em it's for a 05. Pssst the 04 gauge is the same but I didn't say that.
Any links to the gauge? Mine has been working, but I suspect I may have a gauge issue. All I've ever found is the whole cluster.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

fuel gauge for 2003 f-350 dually

Does anyone have a link to purchase just the fuel gauge for a 2003 f350 all I can find is clusters for sale, it seems no one sells oem fuel gauges.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

This happen to me. I also showed a code. I dropped teh fuel tank, took out teh sending unit and found a broken ring terminal for teh ground. I replaced teh ring terminal and its works now. May or may not be problem this case.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseKK For This Useful Post:
P3Spiers (07-11-2014)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseKK View Post
This happen to me. I also showed a code. I dropped teh fuel tank, took out teh sending unit and found a broken ring terminal for teh ground. I replaced teh ring terminal and its works now. May or may not be problem this case.
I would say to check the ohm between the 2 terminals coming from the sender before replacing it. I did not, assuming that was the issue and wasted time and money swapping out my sender. There is a plug under the truck, right around the driver seat area. The wires can be traced from the gas tank to that point or right inside where they come into the cab (No plug on the inside however, so you would have to cut them if you measured there). I have some more info on the ohm readings in my link I posted above).
The Following User Says Thank You to 67rstbkt For This Useful Post:
P3Spiers (07-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.