Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What just happened??? Please Help

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  05F350Lariat 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been working on my truck for a few weeks now. A couple broken parts that I've had to wait on and I'm a fulltime college student has slowed progress a bit. My original project was rebuilding the oil cooler, flushing the coolant system and adding EC-1 coolant, and replacing the injectors with a set of 175cc 30% from Renegade Diesel. I also added a new mean green alternator since the stock unit was on it's way out and to protect the new injectors I did the blue spring upgrade and installed a fs2500 oil bypass filter.

After an issue with batteries I got the truck started two weekends ago. Everything looked and sounded good till I found an oil leak from the oil filter housing assembly area. I figured I had damaged a gasket so I ordered a new set. The next weekend I tore it down to replace the gaskets and when it was all back together figured out the leak was coming from a crack in the oil filter housing assembly. So I ordered a new one and waited another week.

That brings me to today. I tore it all down again and replaced the cracked part. After everything was back together she started up after about 12-15 seconds of cranking. There was no leaking oil and everything sounded good. I only had water in the coolant and after about a half hour of idling and with the ECT and EOT in the 150's I decided to take her for a short drive. Only made it a few feet down the road before I blew the intake hose off the intake. Got her back in the drive way and tightened everything down again. Started her up again and still everything looked good. Now here's where everything went wrong.

I was going to drive about a mile down the road, turn around and come back then check all the fluids to make sure everything was good. Instead I made it about a quarter mile and when I gave it some gas it started to shutter, lose power, the injector noise got much louder and I started to have a large amount of smoke come from under the hood and from the exhaust tip. It's already dark so it was hard to tell but the smoke looked white. I checked the oil again and it was a little low so I added about another quart and after a few minutes started her up again. Again loud injector chatter and lots of smoke. At this point I had a buddy tow me back and now I've decided the night would be better spent drinking beer and trying not to look at my truck, which after this project is getting close to being sold.

Please Help!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is there any sign of oil leaking under the hood?
It's possily a injector hanging open on you?
Hell drink the Beer tonight and figure out what it's doing tomorrow.
May be a issue with stuff piled against IPR

They are good trucks, don't throw the towel in just yet :)

#3 ·
There isn't any sign of leaking oil or coolant. I double, triple, and quadruple checked. How can I check to see if it's and injector stuck open?

And I honestly wouldn't sell my truck, I like it to much and I'm a :icon_ford: nut. At the same time this truck is really trying my patients right now.

#4 ·
Anyone have an idea?

#5 ·
Find someone local with an Autoenginuity and perform a balance test. That'll tell you if you have a bad injector and which one.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
I just went down to give it another try and the truck will not turn over. When I turn the key there's just a clunk and that's it.

Please someone help me.

#7 ·
Your probably hydro locked with fuel, check you oil level very closely for being overfilled and smell it. If you smell diesel thats what you have going on.
I would think you could pull the glow plugs and then crank it, the cylinder full of fuel will blow it out of the glow plug hole. Then you will know which injector is the cause.

#9 ·
I feel kind of stupid for asking this, especially since I've been tearing my truck apart and putting back together the last month, but where are the glow plugs? Are they easy to remove? I seem to remeber hearing they're easy to break when removing them? Is this true?

#10 ·
Yes they are easy to remove and no you won't break them
P/M Sent....

#11 ·
Do you have any literature on the 6.0? I can send you some good info if you p/m me a e-mail adress

#13 ·
I just sent you a pm. Thanks

#12 ·
I was talking with Six0~Stroker and he was saying the IPR sensor could have gotten dirty from the oil cooler rebuild. Could that have caused a hydro lock condition and all the injectors are still good?

#15 ·
Yea I thouhgt the same thing in post#2 may be a issue but no will not cause a hydrolock. You have a open injector

#14 ·
Ok it's coming your way, kinda big may take a while.
Mark........

#16 ·
You may have already found them, but here is a close up. They are the same on both sides. Just be a little careful pulling the wires off.

#17 ·
Those look like they're going to be a PITA on the passenger side. Are there any tricks I should know about that may make the job easier?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.