Fuel pressure and #2 Contribution fault driving me nuts - please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel pressure and #2 Contribution fault driving me nuts - please help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2003 6.0 that's driving me nuts. I've been referencing posts here for technical help a long time but finally joined to ask for some help. Sorry for writing a novel on my first post. Any help is appreciated. In short I have a #2 contribution fault only when the truck is warm. I can feel it at idle but not going down the road and not when the truck is cold.

My truck a is mostly stock early 2003 6.0 with 4" exhaust, plugged EGR cooler and used to have an Edge Juice Platinum. 2 years ago I did head gaskets, studs, oil cooler, EGR, 2 Injectors and head swap due to cracks in the heads and puking diesel in the coolant. Until now the truck has been running good since. Truck began running rough ~1 month ago and first thing I found was the Edge seems to have been failing for a while so I removed it. Since then the truck continually ran worse and worse until it finally died on the way home. Issue was HPOP related so I swapped a new HPOP, ICP, ICP harness. I also noticed Oil temp delta to coolant issue so since it was apart I changed the cooler and added new gaskets/seals for everything. After the fix the he truck ran great with only 2 issues - #3 cylinder contribution and high ICP engine off. I found out I wired the harness wrong for the ICP by the fact that the voltage was constant at ~5v. I corrected this issue and the ICP code went away. I also swapped a new injector into #3 and that code was gone too.

After this fix I suddenly had a Cyl #2 contribution balance code and have a very rough idle randomly when the engine is hot. Truck runs fine and has power going down the road. I have the AE scanner so I ran some tests.
Smoke - don't see any bad white or dark smoke
ICP Ė 800 cold idle(.95-.105v)/650 hot idle (.84-.95v) /3.6k max hard load
FICM Ė no less than 48v ever
Coolant is clean with no fuel contamination
Battery Ė 13v min Ė 2 brand new batteries
KOEO Ė sometimes will get #2 contribution fault and erratic ICP only after KOER test
KOER Ė Sometimes the truck begins to buck uncontrollably during this test and I get random issues with the ICP being erratic and the #2 contribution fault.
Balance test Ė canít tell any injector is specifically bad

I soldiered the new ICP connection together and traced the wires back to the FICM to make sure there was no connection issue. I fully insulated the wires and routed them away from any hot or sharp parts. I still get the error. The voltage to the ICP is ~88-95v at hot idle and the pressure is ~650 psi which seems to be in range. Iím a little concerned the voltage can fluctuate over ~.1v at hot idle. The truck has power without hesitation but has a rough idle when warm only which is why the warm ICP voltage concerns me. Does anyone think there is a real ICP issue?

I turned off the #2 injector and engine ran much worse so next thing after the ICP inspection was to replace the injector thinking it was like the #3 code but the new injector did not help the #2 contribution code. I inspected the injector harness and bought a new one since the connectors at the FICM were broken and the wire at the #2 connector was exposed. This did not help. From here I have tried to diagnose further without buying so many parts.

I tried to check was fuel pressure since I have no other codes. I added a fuel pressure gauge to the port by the 2nd filter. I noticed I had ~50psi @ idle but it dropped to ~40 psi under load. I decided to do was to swap to the blue spring upgrade. This helped to bring the base fuel pressure up to ~55-62 psi but the pressure still would drop under hard load to ~38-42. I pulled the upper filter and checked for bubbles when turning the engine over and saw nothing. I pulled the tank to see if the screen was clogged or there was trash in the tank. Everything related to the tank was clean. I pulled the fuel pump off and torn it apart for a full cleaning even though it was not too bad. I put everything back together and still had good static but low dynamic pressure. I then pulled the brass cup out of the regulator and replaced it with the old one in case the gasket did not seal correctly. I thought of this because the fuel pressure gauge would randomly bounce. This also did not help. From here I purchased a new fuel pump motor because I figured the system is holding pressure but does not have enough volume to hold the pressure under load. I installed the new fuel pump motor tonight and have no change to the fuel pressure issue. Tomorrow I am thinking to add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in the return line to the fuel pump so I can make sure the spring is not the issue. Before I do this I may hook the gauge to the pump outlet and see if it gets 100psi when its deadheaded. Not sure how this relates to the balance fault but I know itís an issue to have under 45psi and want to correct it. Does anyone think there is a real fuel pressure issue causing the #2 code and rough idle?

More specific to the #2 fault code I pulled the glow plug with the engine warm and did a leak down with a 2 gauge tester. I pumped the cylinder to ~100 psi and the 2nd gauge read ~98 psi which is almost too good at 2%. I ran the test multiple times and cranked the engine over to check with the same results. I also did a compression test. First rotation it bumped to ~120psi, then ~180 on the second, then ~250 on the third and then ~300 on the fourth. The truck did accidentally start and the most I got was just over 300 psi. I pulled the glow plug from #4 and did the same test. The gauge bumped faster but ender with near the same max psi. Iím concerned itís a piston issue but the leak down confuses me. Iím thinking to buy a bore scope and look through the glow plug hole for damage. Does anyone thing there is hard part damage to the cylinder?

The FICM tests fine but Iím thinking to pull it off and send to Swamps next week since they will inspect it for $35-$40 plus cost of shipping. I donít think this is the issue but have run out of options Could wiring the ICP wrong have spiked the FICM and caused a failure I canít see?.

Can anyone point me to any other potential places to look?? Have I missed something obvious???

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Update regarding the fuel pressure. I took the spring,brass cup and black adapter assembly out. The black adapter did not have a seal on it so I found a greenish one from the kit that seemed to fit it. I placed it on the outside lip and reassembled everything. The fuel pressure instantly went to 62 psi and only moves 3-5 psi under hard load.

I need to run the truck more to see if the fuel pressure was the issue with the #2 injector. It's raining cats and dogs here and fixing the regulator maybe all I can do for today. Idle does seem better when warm but it's hard to say. I ran a KOER test after clearing the KAM and DTC's. Truck bucked like crazy as with before. I got a P2287 (ICP sensor Intermittent) and ICP low code. The real time data seems within spec with the numbers noted above so this confuses me. I'll try to run it some more and reset the KAM then retest later.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was in the same boat youre in now. I have an 04 model engine and on the same cylinder I had a contribution fault also. After doing all the normal to diagnose, I ran a compression test and the guys at international told me 380 psi is ideal. Mine only had 145 psi. Upon tear down I found a small piece off the top of my piston had broken off and it exited out the exhaust port bending on of the exhaust valves on the way out. Just food for thought. I would highly recommend buying or borrowing one of those handheld cameras and stick it in the glow plug hole to see if u can see anything.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling you may be right and have a camera on order now. After fixing the fuel issue over the weekend I swapped the #2 and #4 injectors. The DTC moved with the injector to #4. I'm going to try to warranty the new injector and also get a new hold down for it. I hope I'm lucky and that's the issue and not the short block.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM

I checked the codes today and now have a #4 and #6 injector fault. I had an issue with torquing the injector holddown to spec and need to replace is this week. Does it seem reasonable that a loose injector would impact #4 and #6? Would a bad injector in #4 cause a code for both cylinders?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is possible if both cylinder are companions to each other. I dont know which one goes with #4 but i do know that the companion to #2 is #5.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM

I don't think 4 and 6 are companions but I'm still trying to figure it out. I cleared the codes and only the #4 code has come up for the last week. Today I pulled out #4 injector and replaced the new one with the old core I was going to return. I also changed out the hold down. I drove it for a while and the code for #4 came back. I then decided to warranty the new one to fix the issue. I get to the dealer and recheck the codes. #4 is no longer showing, only #6. Any idea if both injectors could be bad or perhaps I have a FICM issue despite the constant 48+ volts?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would have to say that, since you were getting low fuel psi under load, that you have an injector problem. You moving the injector and the code moving with it will back me up on this. I think that you should replace all 8 injectors at the same time. I would recommend Warren diesel because i have had injectors from him and his customer service is the best. Sheldon at Renegade also makes some good sticks but i have not had ant dealings with him. Keep in mind that 1 in 8 stock ford injectors are bad, there is also no such thing as a "brand new" 6.0 injector anymore, they don't make them anymore. They are ALL rebuilt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM

I'm leaning towards an injector issue too but want to be sure. I'll probably send the FICM out this week to get checked just in case since it's only ~$35 and it gives me an excuse to add a tune to it. I can' t afford to replace all 8 at this time but will most likely swap out #4 and #6 to new injectors since they are easy to swap.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM

The confusion continues. Today I swapped in new #4 and #6 injectors since they were the holes with the codes. After the swap the truck ran well for a bit. Once up to temp the #6 code popped up again. I cleared the code and it returned multiple times. I then cleared the KAM and the DTC's just to make sure. All codes were gone a few minutes and then the #4 code came up. I cleared it for a while but it kept returning. I let the truck sit for ~30 min then cleared the DTC's and nothing came back for the last 10 min o my drive. I'm really losing my mind with this due to the fact that the codes are not consistent and I feel I have tried every diagnostic.

My only thoughts at this point are it has to be either the FICM or the head gasket. I'm leaning to the FICM since the issue is not consistent. I also just redid the heads ~2 years ago. I feel if there was a problem with the cylinder I would not have had the #2 issue move to #4 then to #6 and it would not be intermittent. Any thoughts?

In other news I swapped the fuel pump back to the old one since the seal was the issue and not the pump. I have a brand new fuel pump I'll sell for $165 shipped if anyone wants it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.