BLOWING STEAM OUT OF EXHAUST MONTH AFTER EGR DELETE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BLOWING STEAM OUT OF EXHAUST MONTH AFTER EGR DELETE

I have a 2006 f-250 and i had my egr cooler fail about a month ago. Earlier today i got in the truck after it had sat for about a hour off and when started was blowing steam out the exhaust. Just like it did with the bad egr. Drove it for about five miles and it went away back to normal. Turned it off for a few hours turned it back on and drove it for about 30 miles and no problems. Let it sit again for about 45 min and blew a little steam not as much as earlier and then went away after about a min. Never overheated or loss of power. This is the second time this has happened. What could be the problem.
Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

could be a cracked wall in the intake next to the coolant passage. which delete kit did you use? are you sure it's coolant? are you down on coolant? could be headgaskets as well. any signs of coolant blowing past the degas bottle cap?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as the delete kit goes the mechanic gets the original one and has it welded shut and puts it back on. Im almost sure its coolant because it smells like it. I was low almost a gallon but i had a lower radiator hose leaking a few weeks ago and had just got around to adding coolant two days after i topped it off is when all this happened. The mechanic has done a pressure test on the degas bottle the last time thids happened and said it was fine. And have not seen any signs of cooolant blowing pass the bottle cap.
Thanks....
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Since he just welded it up he may have had a weak spot in the weld and it is giveing way
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

so he welded it shut so exaust wont go through any more and coolant still goes through right ? well if the cooler was bad to begin with that was a bad idea . is this whats happening?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM

i'd also be willing to bet that the weld has a pin hole. the fact that it was leaking prior doesn't really matter. what does matter is that the cooler is welded air tight. otherwise coolant will leak into the intake.
you need to monitor your coolant level. if the cooler was leaking badly prior, the coolant will pool in the muffler. usually it will drip out and leave a big puddle. after a month, all the coolant should be out of the exhaust. but who knows. maybe it's residual. monitor the level and confirm that you're losing coolant first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.