03 6.0 No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 No Start

OK, I have an early '03 F250 Crewcab 4x4 Automatic with a 6.0. It has an Edge programmer that I normally run on 3, 4" MBRP exhaust, and a 4" lift with 35's. Otherwise it is stock.

I just had a HP oil leak this last March and replaced the HPOP, IPR valve, ICP sensor and all o-rings on the injectors including oil rail. The truck has run better than ever. I have only put about 3k miles on it since then. When I towed my toyhauler it did great.

About a month ago I noticed a very slight hesitation in the idle, but it didn't even show on the factory tach so I didn't think anything of it. A week later it didn't start after a long crank in the parking lot of Lowes. I waited a minute and tried it again and it started right up and drove fine. A few days after that on the first colder day here (40 degrees) I tried to start it and it just cranked and cranked. I have been super busy so I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. I plugged in my scan gauge II and showed no codes. When I crank it over the ICP is only showing 20-35psi. I thought maybe the IPR was sticking so I put in a new one. When I pulled the old one the screen was pushed in and torn. I figure that was the problem and put the new one in. No change. I am a bit frustrated after such a big tear down only 3k miles ago and now it's down again. The parts I put in then were all International parts and like I said it has run great up until now? I notice the factory oil pressure gauge doesn't move while cranking. Should it? Where can I find out the low oil pressure. I'm not sure I have LOP for the HPOP to pump, but I also figure that would have put up a code or two.

Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are no sensors for the pcm to monitor for the LP oil system, only a mechanical test from a testport on the bottom front of the filter houseing.

You can remove the oil filter and hold down on the drain valve and have an assistant roll the engine over the filter houseing should fill within a few seconds. Pull the ficm fuse so it can't start. If it doesn't then ya have a pump or regulator problem.

As for the dash gauge it only reads 7 psi more of an idiot light. The pcm does not even see this circuit.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies Danny. I will test it out tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Have you had any FICM issues? On my 04 I had similar issues and one morning it just didnt start. If you have a way to test this it may be your problem. On the other hand if the pickup was warm in the parking lot when it would not start you are more than likely looking at HPOP issues again. From what I have gathered the HPOP works well when the oil is cold even if leaking slightly. When the oil heats up it escapes easily.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 PM

if the screen was punched, something went through the hpop. probably debris through a torn hpop reservoir screen
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So what damage would that screen typically cause?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM

the oil cooler sits in a sump. this sump supplies oil to the hpop. there is a screen in the bottom of the sump to filter the oil going to the hpop. extremely common for that screen to be torn/deteriorated over time. if the screen is torn, debris can enter the pump. there is an updated stainless steel screen available now that comes in the oil cooler kit, as apposed to the old nylon one. if the ipr screen was punched in, it's because debris likely entered the pump through that hpop reservoir screen. since you tried a new ipr valve with no results, the problem is going to be the pump and the likely cause, the screen in the reservoir, under the oil cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.