F350 cranks really slow/no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F350 cranks really slow/no start

Need help,
I have a 2006 F-350 6.0, that ran rough to begin with but now it will crank but won't start. I also noticed it cranks very slow and there is no smoke in the exhaust. It appears to not even want to, never sputters or catches ever. Just a really slow crank and i don't want to keep trying to turn it over. I had a low boost problem so I removed and rebuilt the turbo, I also put a brand new FICM on it, New mass air sensor in. The batteries ( bought 7/12) have been removed twice and checked and charged once at Advanced auto and the second time by me using a trickle charger both for 24 hours. I do have a little above the E on the fuel gauge (I've been told that it probably needs some go juice). I can remove the fuel filter and check for fuel flow also because there is no smell of diesel even after numerous cranks of the motor. I was also thinking it might just be a week starter as it did appear to smoke once during an attempt to start it but that could just be from over use.

Any ideas?

I realize this might be confusing so if you have an question just hit me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to measure your bat voltage on your passenger bat for baseline voltage.
Then hook the volt meter back up and also a amp meter, have an assistant start the truck and note the vlt draw down and amp draw down. vlts should not drop below 10v and amps should be around 500 give or take more and you have a bad starter or the engine is in a bind. The cables and connections need to be clean for this test.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
You need to measure your bat voltage on your passenger bat for baseline voltage.
Then hook the volt meter back up and also a amp meter, have an assistant start the truck and note the vlt draw down and amp draw down. vlts should not drop below 10v and amps should be around 500 give or take more and you have a bad starter or the engine is in a bind. The cables and connections need to be clean for this test.
Thanks for replying. What do you mean the engine might be in a bind? Are you referring to hydrolock maybe. I am a lot more familiar with gas and turbine engine than diesel. I have check for hydrolock though following the steps from another thread and there was nothing significant. I do need to verify fuel flow and will do the voltage and amp check.
Thanks Again
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Hydro lock, bearings trying to seize up, pulley's frozen, a/c compressor clutch froze up etc.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not hydro locked

Quote:
Hydro lock, bearings trying to seize up, pulley's frozen, a/c compressor clutch froze up etc.
Nope unfortunately it's not hydro locked, that make it too easy. it seems it could be a variety of things that could be causing my problem from electrical to mechanical.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got it running

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350project View Post
Nope unfortunately it's not hydro locked, that make it too easy. it seems it could be a variety of things that could be causing my problem from electrical to mechanical.
Ok turns out the slow crank was a starter problem. Changed the starter and got the truck running, well if you can call it that. Here's what i got. At first it wouldn't turn over but cranked normal then I remembered to check the engine oil level and yes it wasn't even touching the dipstick. So I added oil and then it finally started.

It now a hard start, kicks over after about 10 seconds of motoring and needs help ie: throttle manipulation to keep running. Once it gets going you hear the really loud cackle that diesels are known for but it sounds so much louder I think. Idles rough and really hesitates when you push the throttle. Boost gauge sits at 0 while at idle and when it does increase in RPM the boost gauge barley moves. So I'm thinking the turbo isn't making any but i just rebuilt it. My next step is to check for Air leaks, and recheck that my MAF sensor is good to go.
any other idea's? The hesitation really bothers me. It reacts 3 seconds or so after I press the thorttle.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Not shure what the temps are there but in cold weather it is best to let it idle a little while, let the oil warm up and everything else also. What oil are you useing?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil/EGR delete?

Quote:
Not shure what the temps are there but in cold weather it is best to let it idle a little while, let the oil warm up and everything else also. What oil are you useing?
currently using rotellat
What's the experience with engine oil? Should I go full synthetic or a synthetic blend? will either work with the motorcraft oil filter?

What's up with the EGR delete? I have a friend that can acquire a bullet proof EGR delete fro $75 or so and sine I'm changing the STC fitting and will be in that area i'm thinking of doing it. Is there any negative drawbacks to it? I live in NC so will it pass inspection? I know diesels don't have to do emissions but will they have a problem with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.