FICM problem? codes: P0262 P0265 P0268 P0271 P0274 P0277 P0280 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM problem? codes: P0262 P0265 P0268 P0271 P0274 P0277 P0280

Kind of a long story, read to the end to see what today's issue is. I think I know what the issue is, but I would like another opinion or two.

Always do my oil changes at 5k and fuel filters at 10k. Always Motorcraft (Raycor) filters. Running T6 oil and PowerService in the fuel on most fill-ups. Truck has about 120k on it. Truck was running fine, just got back from a 3,000 mile round trip from Colorado to Oakland, CA and back. Only issue I noticed on the trip was I got a fan circuit code intermittently. Ran the test with AutoEnginuity and fan seems to check out, so I likely have a intermittent wiring issue. I do not think this has anything to do with the issue I am currently facing.

Now that the weather is getting cold, the truck feels like it is getting a little rough and little extra smoke on start up. I noticed my FICM voltage was dropping low on cold start up (it is a 58 V FICM the reads 48V at my monitor). The FICM was reading 37V or so at the monitor which I measured as around 46 or 47 V at the FICM screw. No codes at this point.

I sent the FICM to be checked out and there was a minor repair done. I got the FICM back and installed it, started up OK and idled fine. FICM voltages looked fine on start-up. Ran OK for a day or so, then I noticed on warm start-up it was idling rough. A little throttle and things cleared up. I found codes P0262 P0271 P0277 and P0280 - injectors 1, 4 6, and 7 circuit high.

Made a short trip, shut down, and again it started up and idled a little rough, again a little throttle cleared things up. Same four codes had come back. 5 minutes later it started idling even more rough, and had no power. Eventually it died and I had it towed home. Same four codes. All four of these injectors share the same FICM plug (the one closest to the fire wall I think), so I check the connections and they seem fine. I thought it may be a battery issue (since the FICM had been given a clean bill of health after repair). I charged the batteries overnight and it started up fairly smooth, but still more smokey than usual the next day. Later the same day it was running rough again, so I figured new batteries were needed. Put in two new batteries and fully charged them.

Now to today... Started up a little rough (took two tries at around 38 degrees) and a little smokey. Roughness cleared up, but was still a little smokey. Smoke smells like diesel, but not like excessively raw fuel. Grey smoke. Seemed to run OK. Made it about 8 miles, truck was not fully warmed up yet (around 150 F oil temp), and the truck started running really rough again (like when I had it towed) and then died. I was able to get it re-started and out of the way. While it was restarted, I saw the ICP was running over 3,000 psi when trying to move the truck (had to floor it to get it to move) and around 650 when idling (just barely able to idle). Now I am seeing codes: P0262 P0265 P0268 P0271 P0274 P0277 P0280 which are injector circuit High for 7 of the 8 injectors. I do not think my Edge Insight will monitor FICM logic power, so I will need to bring the ScanGuage II or Auto Enginuity to verify those.

In the meantime, I am thinking that the FICM has taken a dump. It seems pretty unlikely that 7 of the 8 injector wiring harnesses have suddenly developed a short to B+ (which I think is the main cause of an injector circuit high code). Any opinions? Any other obvious possibilities that I am missing?

Thanks,

MikeB

Last edited by PSDMikeB; 11-30-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 AM

AM bump...
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
sounds like the FICM has pooped out.. when mine did i know i had to floor it to move it around... idk if there is a way you can test the wiring harness to see if there is a short
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 AM

From similar issues others have had
I would be looking for a wire chafing issue since your FICM was called "good"
Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 AM

locations to check

Ford DTC codes & wire chafing locations - TheDieselGarage.com
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Under the FICM and along the wire bundles near rub and bend points.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I had previously reinforced the harness at the rub points, and they all looked OK when I tore into it today. My FICM vendor sent me a replacement FICM to swap out which I did today. Started up fine. Guess I'll ned to try it out for a couple of days to be sure.

MikeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.