Low fuel pressure after new HFCM/HPOP/blue spring & filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel pressure after new HFCM/HPOP/blue spring & filters

Had a lot of work done to my 6.0 2mths ago with about 160k everything ran great avg 55-60psi fuel pressure off a fuel gauge tapped off test port, now today at about 190k and several hundred gal a week in fuel fill ups not getting passed 43-47psi, could it be a dirty filter at this point? I'm at a loss with so much being new in the fuel supply system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIAutoTransport View Post
Had a lot of work done to my 6.0 2mths ago with about 160k everything ran great avg 55-60psi fuel pressure off a fuel gauge tapped off test port, now today at about 190k and several hundred gal a week in fuel fill ups not getting passed 43-47psi, could it be a dirty filter at this point? I'm at a loss with so much being new in the fuel supply system
Assuming your numbers are correct, 30k miles in two months? Your about 20k miles overdue on filter changes, yes that could be a problem. At that rate, you would need to change filters every 20 days, if you were following the recommended intervals.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Assuming your numbers are correct, 30k miles in two months? Your about 20k miles overdue on filter changes, yes that could be a problem. At that rate, you would need to change filters every 20 days, if you were following the recommended intervals.

Good to know, I need to read up on my normal filter change interval any suggestions?

Yea its part of the transport biz always on the road avg 12-16hr days 3-4x a week and doing oil changes basically every 2wks.

So basically both fuel filters should be changed every 10k? Or could I get away with 15k-20k intervals? I did forget to mention after 4-6hrs of the engine running the fuel pressure does start to climb to 50+ and stays pretty steady its only during the cold start up and following 3-4hrs.

***EDIT***

Just did some quick google reading my truck definitely falls under ""Severe Operating Conditions" and it shows every 10k in the pdf I found, this is why I have always been a fan of forums even though it was something simple this filter changed was overlooked after focusing so hard on EGT's/ECT/EOT deltas etc

Thanks for the quick reply southend

Last edited by EIAutoTransport; 11-30-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

15 k is recommended

mine usually are perfect looking at that point ,, but it's a safety thing I usually get my fuel at High volume stations but on a trip to Oregon ,, I definitely got some questionable fuel ,, that was the one time my lower filter looked dirty ,, you should also crack the water drain periodically and u can by an easier to remove plug

my fuel PSI's are higher with cold fuel .. by 4 psi

Last edited by ZMANN; 11-30-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIAutoTransport View Post
Good to know, I need to read up on my normal filter change interval any suggestions?

Yea its part of the transport biz always on the road avg 12-16hr days 3-4x a week and doing oil changes basically every 2wks.

So basically both fuel filters should be changed every 10k? Or could I get away with 15k-20k intervals? I did forget to mention after 4-6hrs of the engine running the fuel pressure does start to climb to 50+ and stays pretty steady its only during the cold start up and following 3-4hrs.
It's in the owners manual, your pressure guage is a great investment. Use only motorcraft our racor filters, oil and fuel filters, with the correct oil filter cap to match. It is likely your fuel filter is collapsed at this point, fuel pressure below 45psi kills injectors quick. I would say lower filter for sure every 10k, that is considering your always gonna get the best fuel.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM

I see your Edit and I agreed severe duty

filters come as a set top and bottom and new o-rings ,, with the proper socket and extensions it's a 20 minute job just cycle the key until the fuel psi climbs to normal
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Here is the updated drain plug, well worth the money......

And I picked up the large socket at autozone.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM

much easier

I think I'll go drain mine now LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.