Need advice starting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice starting issues

Hey guys. I am a new member but have been coming to the site for some time. I recently had issues with starting after my truck was warm. I then decided to change stand pipes and dummy plugs they were fine no real issue there. But now when i try and start it i have to crank for a longer time before it fires. Could i have done something wrong in this process??? Or does it take some time to get air out of system again? Also its still a no start after the truck is warm. Think next plan there is STC update. Truck has 80 000 miles. All new injectors and ficm within last 10 000 miles. Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance.

Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your truck is an 05 and up, the stc is likely also failing with the conditions you posted, eventually it will not start at all. Also it is possible that the hpop cover can crack if it pops loose all at once. It does take a bit of running to get the air out.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

What year is the truck?
If it's a 05+ 6.0 with STC fitting that's more than likely your problem. Did you check all the top o-rings on the injectors to make sure they weren't loosing oil?
If you are getting into the STC you should look at the health of the oil cooler, if it's up on temps it would be a good time to replace it and possibly egr cooler.

What happened to need all new injectors at 80,000 miles?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Year

The truck is an 05 sorry about that. Injectors i bought the truck from a dodge dealer about a year ago. It was a king ranch and price was right. But every time id go and look at the truck before a bought it they always had it running for me so the day i took it home i shut the truck off next morning it was a had start run for five seconds shut off do this 10 times before it would stay running took right back to dealer and said fix it or i want my money back they guessed and just through parts at it all 8 injectors from ford didn't fix it after two weeks and and i did some research on here i figured it was ficm. Sure enough they had another 05 at dodge on there lot swapped ficms and no issues after that.

I just got nervous after doing stand pipes and dummy plugs that it now takes longer cranking then before i changed them to start it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Joel,

How long did you run it after your stand-pipe and dummy plug replacement? And how many start cycles has it been since your repair?

Without a monitor you will just be guessing at problems. You really need to get one if you don't have it already. You need to know what the ICP and IPR values are. Same for the FICM and fuel pressure. If these are all good, then you need to possibly do a contribution balance test.

It might be as simple as oil drain-back from a bad filter/cover combination the gives you the long crank time. But you need more info for a good diagnosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.