2005 6.0L Won't Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0L Won't Start

2005 Ford 6.0L Excursion.

VIDEO: 2005 Excursion - YouTube

I posted a video on youtube of it not starting. I got stuck today and after trying and waiting and trying I finally got her started. I got home and made the video.

Some history that may mean something... I drive the truck 5-10 times per month. A couple of months ago I was blowing white smoke. Got an EGR Delete but have not erased the code yet (I bought a programmer that didn't work, etc., etc., still working on it). I noticed after the EGR delete the truck idled rough for a few minutes then seemed fine. A week later it had the same starting issue I had today and I took it to the mechanic. He couldn't really find anything except the batteries and changed them to regular batteries (redtops were only 2 yrs old but mech said some had issues). After that the truck started fine, idled fine, ran fine, etc., for a few months until today it had the same starting issue as before.

I do not have any fancy equipment but I did check the engine light codes and still just getting the 405/407 EGR codes I was getting before (nothing new). Mechanic says these codes will not cause any problems.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Sorry no sound here on the work computer for vid, but search for FICM check procedure if the batteries were low or going bad you could have done some damage to it
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

More info would be good...

Lots of us try to save some money by skipping the monitoring, believe me I know it's hard to spend a buck sometimes. However, we could be a lot more help if we knew more. You could Get either a scangauge 2 or a dashboss for about 160.00. That will tell you enough down the road to help you Potentially prevent thousands in repairs. It could also help us tell you if you likely have a battery, oil pump, IPR, fuel pressure or FICM problem without you having even crack open the hood.

To monitor fuel pressure I'm not sure the scangauge will help you, but you can install a fuel pressure sender for the Dashboss.

I have been able to pinpoint three problems in the three months I have had the Dashboss. One of which had me stranded much like you are.

My rant in a nutshell - get a monitoring system!

In the meantime check your FICM like poorboy said, its not hard (but it's harder than looking at the screen on a monitor...)

Good luck, I hope we can help
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update...

Its definately a warm start issue. I am going to take it to the mechanic. I have a great mechanic and I'm sure he can diagnose the problem as long as I can reproduce the issue.

One other note is the oil cooler was replaced (recently) when I did the EGR delete.

I'm a little concerned as I've read on here where people have been chasing a similar problem with several fixes (FICM, then standpipe/dummy plug replacemet, etc.) before finding the root probelm. I don't want to be $1K into it and still searching. For goodness sake, I just shelled out a wad of cash for the EGR delete/oil cooler replacement. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

As long as your tec can monitor your truck he should be able to see something, post back up anything he finds, there are a bunch of guys here with a ton of knowledge but they need info to help you. since you have an Ex I think you have the 03 motor but I'm not sure what type of oil rails you would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.